Do you think Olive the Redfoot would like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
this....
They sell it without the hay feeder so we could get just the bin and legs.. ?
Olive is under a year old...

IMG_4788-vi.jpg

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
The 'inside' measurement was 24" x 58" but I didn't measure how deep it was. People were about and I felt awkward snapping pictures and all.. haha

Although it looks ugly I figured I could put a curtain around the bin to hang down to floor level to hide those legs and then i'd have a storage area underneath too :)
It's on special... at the farm supply shop near me.. so I am tempted but it's not THAT much bigger than what I have her in now it's about 18" longer and only 5" wider

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never thought about a field hay feeder as a tortoise table. I think its a great idea. Does the bottom part cost very much?

Yvonne

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Well I'm in Canada so everything costs too much compared to US prices!! But I'd bet you could half what i'm paying if you bought it in the states...
So they want $130 for the bottom half and legs and the same for the top half which is obviously not in the equation..
I'm just debating whether I should buy it or just wait until she's bigger and then get something even bigger.. but it's almost too perfect for her for right now to give up....
hmmmmm

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ok Shelli so this is what I came up with. This is the logical part of me. If your current enclsoure for Olive is 19inx40in the surface area is 760 inches and the hay feeder is 58 in x 24 in the surface area would be 1392 inches. This is nearly double the surface size of her old pen. You really need to know the depth so that you can be sure all the substrate and her furnature will fit and she won't be able to get out though.
http://www.math.unt.edu/mathlab/emathlab/Surface Area.htm

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It looks nice, but to my eye it looks like it waste to much space with all that curved plastic, but hey if you like it go for it.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hey nice horse feeder, I'll take it to feed our hayburners.

As far as using it for a tort table, my concern is with the sloping sides, wouldn't
all the substrate end up down the centre? Just my thoughts.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Thankyou for all your observations at the store I was thinking I could build the substrate up enough to a point where I wasn't loosing too much with the slope but in practise that may not be practical and maybe a deeper sided (redfoot compatible) table would be better...
I will keep looking .. they had the 50 Gallon Rubbermaid water troughs which were awesome but they were nearly $200 and not jusifiable since they were not longer than what she has now only a bit wider...
I saw a bunch of them on Kijiji though but they were in the States.. grrr...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think it's cool. Do they not have the 50 gallon Rubbermaid containers that are not water troughs? Expensive for you! The Rubbermaid 50 gallon size is 42.7x21.4x18 inches. How big do you need?

I'm in the market for a bigger one for when I go on a trip and my tort needs to be watched as a friend's house, so I don't have to transport his table which would be impossible for us due to the size and weight.

This feeder does look like a good option and I agree with substrate the curved bottom shouldn't be an issue. If you are spending this much money I would get the largest you ever plan to buy, and block off part of it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate you are in the States right? I just got an email from the Iris Company and around late fall (Christmas time) (its a sesonal item) Wal-Mart, The Container Store, Garden Ridge, Meier's and Aldi will be carrying an "Iris Holiday tree storage box". This is like a rubbermaid tote but it is 185 quarts. Its 51 inches long by 18 inches wide by 11 inches deep and comes with either a green or red lid. I found it's just the right size for an away from home (babysitting) home. :D
or you could try this http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-2095.html if you need it sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.