Do you actually use lights or heat sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I was just curious, who in here does exactly what with their hingebacks as far as the use of lights and heat sources go. I know, I see us telling folks they need this or that amount of light or temps, yet I don't follow those rules and nor do I usually speak up and give advise going against the grain.

To be honest almost all of my various hingebacks have no outside source of heat, they make do with what the house temp is. In the winter that means high 70s to low 80s on average.

The only time I put heat on any of the Erosa or Homes, is if they are housed in a bottom enclosure, it's the coldest part of winter, and because of drafts or distance/location from the house heater, it can drop too low. The rest of the groups have no CHE and are equal in activity levels. My Bells like it a bit hotter, so they have the CHE on them all the time during the winter. I also have one housed in one of the warmest locations and he has no CHE, as it would create for him too hot an environment. Both have the same amount of activity, but then the end temps are about equal for both.

Now that it's warmer outside, all heat is off (both the CHE and the house heater), with the exception of the one CHE still on the Bells. Our house heat is going to be up and down some what with what's going on outside, but still would be staying in the low 70s. We did have one or two really cold days a week or so ago, and turned on an electric heater and used the oven for cooking which did raise back up the house temps into the 70s.

Days like today (finally a warm sunny day!!!), windows will be wide open and remain so for the next few days. Those not getting time outside, will still be experiences some of the same temps, including the low night temps.

As for lighting, they all currently have the long kitchen light type fixtures that are on for between 6-10 hours. The amount of time varies as I am testing to see preferences. Plus about half of these lights are on timers, so they are stable in when they come on or go off each day. The other half I play with. Some days they get turned on, some days they stay off. Some days they come on early, some days later in the day. Once more testing to see how the groups react.

In the summer, they get limited time outside. Years ago (may be 15 and only with Bells), I tried more and it was a total failure. My fault I am sure, as I may have stressed them moving them in at night, as it was not a secure enclosure and the major thing was I picked the wrong location, then didn't plant it heavy enough or have enough hides.

Currently, we are changing an old NA Wood turtle enclosure over to one for an experimental group of Homes to live outside 24/7.

These are all adults, groups of Bells, Homes, and Erosa. They all have the appearance of being healthy. They are all eating, soaking on their own, being active, attempting breeding and laying eggs. (and have been doing so for at least a year, when the last one would have arrived here. Some we are talking years.)

So what do you actually use? Do you use these year round, change as the weather changes, or do they get time outside (and if so, how much)?
Do you use timers, so they get the same amount each and every day?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Kind of goes along with the few times I've said this, but no one can keep tortoises the way you do Jacqui. The same goes for me and everyone else that has tortoises.
I'm sure most people can't keep their Hingebacks the way you do, as most people couldn't keep them the way I did.
Mine had no lights over their enclosures they also had no heat source. They were mid-range in my tortoise room so were 80 to 85F during the day and went down to 70F at night.
You can't tell people not to use heat like we don't and didn't as their tortoises are most likely in a room that is only in the 60'sF (most peoples house temperatures). So you have to have a heat source and the best thing for that is a CHE and thats what I recommend.
Not recommending any lights tends to freak people out :D, so I try to make sure someone has a very low output bulb and they have lots of hiding spots.
So you really do have to taylor the advice to the person. :)

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I have (almost) always kept my hingebacks in plexiglass tortoise tables, so they get a lot of ambient light. I tried adding supplemental lighting for them, on a 12 hour timer, but while they are happy to run around throughout the day in ambient light, they stay hidden if any additional light is offered. So, no more lights for my tortoises.

As far as heat goes, my tortoise's temperatures change seasonally. They're never allowed to get colder than 70, and when they're at 70 I use CHEs to create an area that is 80 for them. During the summer the temps never get higher than 84 indoors. I always have an aquarium rope heater going in the substrate, but that is for humidity, not heat.

My tortoises spend as much time outside as I can let them. Anytime the daytime temperature is above 70 I let them out. They stay out until the temperature drops below 70, or if the nighttime low is below 70, I bring them in before I go to bed. Hunting hingebacks with a flashlight is always fun... good thing mine like to hide in the exact same places over and over! My outdoor enclosure is an 8' x 16' area in the southwest corner of my 6' privacy fence. Some part of it is always shaded by my fence during the day. They have a 3' x 4' water dish that is half in the shade, half in the sun. I have a little solar powered pump to keep the water moving. They have 4 hides, a large mound of substrate to dig into, and the grass/weeds in there grow to over 2 feet tall.

With my setup everyone seems to be healthy, eating, drinking, soaking, mating, etc. No eggs yet, but I've only had my girls since November, and they've only been with the boys for a short while.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Danny I wasn't trying to make folks feel they should change how they are doing their's, more just wanting to know honestly how everybody is keeping their Hinges. I do at times feel bad, because advice is a "do as I say, not as I do" situation.

I agree we need to tell folks things we ourselves don't do. It's the main reason I always encourage folks to tweak and experiment because no two animals or locations are the same. It's also why I pointed out these are ones I have had for awhile. My own care would be different if these we new animals (especially if not eating) or hatchlings.

When I first had my Bells and an Erosa years ago (15 years give or take), I had no lights whatsoever for them. Admitting too, I even had and used one of those heat rocks for about two years in one enclosure:rolleyes:. (not in any way recommending anybody to use one, but with the pair of Bells I used it on, they used it and had no problems. Of course since then, we have seen too many times those rocks caused problems. Come to think of it, they were the pair of Bells who had several clutches of eggs. The male Bell I still have). After I was down to just the one male Bell's, he was kept in a large aquarium type enclosure in the frontroom with two windows on either side, but not behind him. His only heat source was in the winter, I plugged in his UTH. He lived like that for many years.

Chairman, with the ones I have kept in aquarium type enclosures, I use the UTH to both warm the substrate and add humidity. Currently tho, I only have one Bells youngster and an Erosa in such an enclosure. The rest are now housed in the black Rubbermaid type sheep waterers.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
But it should always be "do as I say and not as I do". You need to look at the person and give advice pertinent to their situation. Just saying what you do would be implying that they should be doing the same. Doing it that way almost never works for the person your giving advice to.
So no feeling your doing anything wrong, because your not. :D

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Danny, to a certain extent I agree with you that advice should be custom fitted for an individual's needs. If I were able to keep a reptile room like yours my setup would be a lot different from what I currently have. Heck, I keep my tortoises differently from what I have in the past because I used to live in FL but now live in IN and maintaining humidity up here is a bear. But I find threads full of different ways of doing things to be very helpful, even if they're only basic guides. Heck, I frequently check in on the redfoot, box turtle, and manouria areas for ideas on how to improve my hingeback's care. And lets not forget that I think I'm the only person on here who admits to having a 3 story indoor home for my torts to roam (took away floor 4 because nobody liked it). I personally love the setup (it gives my torts almost 16 sq ft of "hide" space), but I know it isn't for everyone.

Jacqui, I'm currently experimenting with some UTH. My enclosure is built so that there is a tortoise supply cabinet below the bottom level, and I've installed a CHE pointing up to see what happens. No worries, it is far enough away from the bottom so it won't melt anything, and I installed it inside a terracotta pot so none of my supplies accidentally fall onto it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
chairman said:
Danny, to a certain extent I agree with you that advice should be custom fitted for an individual's needs. If I were able to keep a reptile room like yours my setup would be a lot different from what I currently have. Heck, I keep my tortoises differently from what I have in the past because I used to live in FL but now live in IN and maintaining humidity up here is a bear. But I find threads full of different ways of doing things to be very helpful, even if they're only basic guides. Heck, I frequently check in on the redfoot, box turtle, and manouria areas for ideas on how to improve my hingeback's care. And lets not forget that I think I'm the only person on here who admits to having a 3 story indoor home for my torts to roam (took away floor 4 because nobody liked it). I personally love the setup (it gives my torts almost 16 sq ft of "hide" space), but I know it isn't for everyone.

Jacqui, I'm currently experimenting with some UTH. My enclosure is built so that there is a tortoise supply cabinet below the bottom level, and I've installed a CHE pointing up to see what happens. No worries, it is far enough away from the bottom so it won't melt anything, and I installed it inside a terracotta pot so none of my supplies accidentally fall onto it.

Mike that will be interesting to see the results of. Whenever I have used an UTH, they have used that area a lot more then when it didn't have one. I for one really like using those things.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't use any supplemental light. My Hingebacks receive a good amount of ambient light from open windows, so I have never deemed it necessary. As far as heat goes, I make sure that they stay in between 70 and 83*F but I really don't use any supplemental heat either. I have a red 250 watt heat lamp (chick brooder bulb) that is suspended above the enclosure on a stand, and if it gets cold in there at night, I flip it on. Otherwise, it is off. Average temp in their enclosure is about 75*.

I am building a new outdoor enclosure for the Home's, and I am going to make an attempt to leave them out 24/7 for the summer, and see how it goes.

Mine too, eat like horses, are breeding, and laying eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.