Do we worry about weasels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
We are considering a larger permanent enclosure for the torts(we use movable ones right now)

Does anyone worry about weasels? I think they would fit through a very small hole-we rarely see them but they are around.We have chickens and I think weasels like chickens and no problem as yet. We have guineas too that could patrol near the tortoises as they are known to kill rodents etc as a group.

Any thoughts on this being a threat?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they can be nasty tenacious critters,, but i think they prefer birds and rodents.. protection is always good tho..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
also, Louise, they are very playful and might decide a small tortoise would be fun to toss around and play with.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I guess we would need tiny holed mesh to prevent those creatures?
We were going with 2 inch by 2inch stucco mesh with boards along the inside to prevent visuals of outside. Also bird netting over the top.
Not sure whether to use a 1cm mesh, but its a lot more costly for a sizable enclosure.I guess a weasel would fit through anything 1 inch square and bigger presumably?
I wonder if my guineas would help though?

Has anyone had trouble with weasels? Are these critters in the US too?
We see them most often in Winter in their white coats, they change to brown for Summer.
Louise

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'd go w/ 1/2" hardware cloth...I've seen what weasels can do to box turtles, up in Arkansas and Conneticut, so it's DEFINITELY something to consider!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Its funny but we were looking for 1 inch hardware cloth and it took us months and months to get any as all the hardware stores were always out of it, we went as far as 6 hours away.

In theory I should be able to get what I need but I think maybe you guys have an easier time picking up your materials without all the waiting etc
I'm not sure why things are so difficult here at times:rolleyes:

I will consider the 1 cm cloth for best protection including the weasels.(I just have to be patient in my quest to gather my materials!!)
I wonder if the small mesh is needed all the way up-I suppose that would depend on whether or not weasels can climb?
That I do not know.

Thanks
Lousie

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If weasels are very common in your area then they could be a potential threat to your tortoises. They prefer small mammals but will also prey on birds, small reptiles and eggs if it's easy food for them. They can dig, but will usually try to find an easier way and out of where their prey is such as small holes. They can also climb if necessary, but very much prefer to stay close to ground level. Weasels are common here where I live but I've never had a problem with them bothering my tortoises, despite easy access. But their main prey-small mammals are extremely plentiful here too, enough so that they don't seem interested in anything in close proximatey of my house.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
GBtortoises said:
If weasels are very common in your area then they could be a potential threat to your tortoises. They prefer small mammals but will also prey on birds, small reptiles and eggs if it's easy food for them. They can dig, but will usually try to find an easier way and out of where their prey is such as small holes. They can also climb if necessary, but very much prefer to stay close to ground level. Weasels are common here where I live but I've never had a problem with them bothering my tortoises, despite easy access. But their main prey-small mammals are extremely plentiful here too, enough so that they don't seem interested in anything in close proximatey of my house.

Gary
Good thoughts, we have lots of mice, and gophers too right now.
I know they occasionally get into someone's chickens but I am thinking that may be more so in the Winter.
My torts are only outdoors on the hot days of a short summer so at night and through the winter, they are indoors.
We don't see them often but I wonder if that is because they are keeping themselves away from humans and well hidden.

I think too I'll let my guinea fowl into the surrounding area and they willl alert when something is around and as a group will tackle some small mammals, mice, rats, snakes.I hope they don't get any snakes-I love to see them here.

I have a couple of pet rabbits too and never had weasel trouble with those.

Perhaps the gophers etc are plentiful enough here too.

Thanks for that
I may not worry too much about the weasels unless I see more around.

Louise

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I actually grew up on a rabbit farm. We also lots of chickens, turkeys and pigs. Suprisingly, we never had many problems with weasels despite them being common here. We had many more problems with racoons getting into the chicken house. They would eat any eggs in the nest and occasionally kill chickens.

The only explanation that I've ever had with why weasels didn't bother things too much in the barn was barn cats. One of the meanest creatures on earth!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tortoise said:
Its funny but we were looking for 1 inch hardware cloth and it took us months and months to get any as all the hardware stores were always out of it, we went as far as 6 hours away.

In theory I should be able to get what I need but I think maybe you guys have an easier time picking up your materials without all the waiting etc

I will consider the 1 cm cloth for best protection including the weasels.(I just have to be patient in my quest to gather my materials!!)
I wonder if the small mesh is needed all the way up-I suppose that would depend on whether or not weasels can climb?
That I do not know.

Thanks
Lousie

Weasels climb most agilely!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tortoise said:

That I do not know.

Thanks
Lousie

Weasels climb most agilely!

Its no wonder why they are so successful-amazing creatures really.
Thanks I had no idea they would climb.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
It's true, they are able climbers, but considered terrestrial mainly because they prefer to hunt and live at ground level where their primary food sources, mice, moles and small rabbits also live. They will also often prey on ground dwelling bird nests like quail, ducks and similar fowl. A friend of mine watched over and over one winter as a weasel would return daily to his small ponds (he bred ornamental goldfish) and come out of the water with a nice plump (and valuable) goldfish!

So there isn't much they won't do for a meal!

Status
Not open for further replies.