Do they hibernate?

Linah4

Hi guys,

This morning I woke up to find Littlefoot in the corner of his tub behind the thermostat - lifeless :(. No movement, my poor baby. I'm only hoping there is a slight chance that he might be hibernating or a chance to revive, but from what I'm reading there isn't. Any ideas?

If not, thanks for all the help and guidance thus far.

RIP little man!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
This unfortunately sounds like it's not a good ending. You can try to pry a leg out or soak home but even in hibernating species(which leopards are naturally not a full on hibernating species like a desert tortoise or Russian) they will show some movement not much. But temperatures have to be cool. They won't just randomly go into hibernation over night. I hope he's just sleeping hard for yah.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might try putting him in warm water (very shallow) and see if he revives. Place the bowl at the edge of where the light shines down, not directly under the light.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, like Kelly said, even when in hibernation mode, they'll still move when you touch them.

Linah4

Also, I can't pull his back leg out, it's stuck pretty tight in there.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah you should get some response very soon when soaked. It sounds not good by your comment. What previous knowledge could we get the past days or weeks. How warm was it in the enclosure, anything fed out the norm, how you have it set up. A picture would be helpful too. Can you see his eyes at all? Sunk in or just shut, open? I certainly hope for the best. But does not sound so.

Linah4

I wasn't sure what to do, brought him to the vet. One of his eyes were slightly open. Gave him a bit of wheat grass on Friday night. He's got the MVB and heating element. I'm at the vet now so can't take a pic.

Linah4

Vet checked him, heartbeat was gone. Didn't think I would be this upset over it. Thanks everybody. He's in a better place now.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
So very sorry. :(

Elohi(Earth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry. That's a real shame.

Linah4

Thanks everyone, it really sucks when you fight so hard for them to make it! Poor little guy, the only comfort I have is knowing that he's not in any more pain. Even the vet was surprised that he passed.