Do males or females make better pets?

Which Gender Makes a Better Pet Tortoise?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My 2 most friendly outgoing torts have been female, and yes my male torts have some serious junk to show. Im talking torts not people;)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
~Amanda~ said:
bigred said:
My 2 most friendly outgoing torts have been female, and yes my male torts have some serious junk to show. Im talking torts not people;)

Hmm, leaning towards female. :p
Question though, the place where I am planning on ordering has females listed as $50 more than the males. Any ideas why?
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/products/Russian-Tortoise.html

Females are usually worth more in general because they are the ones that lay the eggs. Tortoisesupply is where I got one of my friendly females from, good place to buy from

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
~Amanda~ said:
Question though, the place where I am planning on ordering has females listed as $50 more than the males. Any ideas why?
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/products/Russian-Tortoise.html

Supply and demand. Usually people only want one male, but several females. Or at least a ratio of one male to several females per group. This makes females more in demand. There reproductive ability is also a factor.

~Amanda~

5 Year Member
New Jersey
bigred said:
Females are usually worth more in general because they are the ones that lay the eggs. Tortoisesupply is where I got one of my friendly females from, good place to buy from

Tom said:
Supply and demand. Usually people only want one male, but several females. Or at least a ratio of one male to several females per group. This makes females more in demand. There reproductive ability is also a factor.

Oh, thanks! That makes sense. Bummer, funding is not something that I have excess of. The main reason that I can't purchase a Tortoise at the moment is because I'm still saving up. I'll definitely get there though, eventually. :)
I think the extra cost would be worth it if I really want a female, I mean these pets stay around for quite a long time so I want the one that is right, ya know? Especially because I know this will be my only Tortoise.

Thanks again, everyone! The members here never fail to provide some great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.