Do inside babies hibernate??

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I was just wondering if babies inside on their first year naturally "hibernate". I noticed they weren't very active during the winter and now I see them frequently now that it's in the 70's outside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The drive to brumate is long planted in some turtle and tortoise...so yes, you absolutely can have a turtle or tort have a string desire/drive to do so, regardless of your set up.

If you have a species that is naturally one that involves brumation in their life cycle, you may want to research the process and make future plans to support it....or you will want to make a decision to not--this way you will have a plan of action with which ever way you decide to go....:D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have 5 hatchiling and 7 three - four year old juveniles and all but three disappeared for two and a half months. They have just started to emerge on their own and I keep my apartment at or around 72 all winter long.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
That makes me feel worlds better! They each have been poppin up the past week even though I had it nice and warm and a UVB light on them. I also dumped a fresh batch of pill bugs in there and boy are they happy hunting. Anytime I dug them up for a soak the past 2-3 mths... They were stiff and "cranky" for a lack of better words.

My adult female has come out and was enjoying our warm rain yesterday. So glad to see her :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393018621.002356.jpg Tank on the hunt!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393018642.034794.jpg Dora wakin up

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Yeah mine as well. I stopped doing it about a month ago. Try crickets! Boy do they love some crickets. At first they chase then they lie in wait and hunt them down one by one. My only issue is they missed a few and I am starting to see little baby crickets all over the tank. I had to put a tape shield around the top because baby crickets can climb glass but not clear tape, lol.

Your female is pretty! My Russians started coming up yesterday. I'm in Dallas. Tomorrow will be in the 80's so I should see all four of them soon.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
txturtle13 said:
I was just wondering if babies inside on their first year naturally "hibernate". I noticed they weren't very active during the winter and now I see them frequently now that it's in the 70's outside.

Mine do the same. They will eat some during the winter months when kept inside but their appetites and activity levels increase greatly come March even though their set up remains identical. Another great example of nature being nature regardless of our input.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
This all reassures me greatly. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong! :)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Saleama said:
I have 5 hatchiling and 7 three - four year old juveniles and all but three disappeared for two and a half months. They have just started to emerge on their own and I keep my apartment at or around 72 all winter long.

Do you still throw feed in daily ? Are they not active and hide or are they totally hibernating and not eating . This is an interesting thread as I plan to get some babies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Came home and look what was here greating me. DSCN0979 (800x600).jpg

I will post these in another thread but wanted to show you my little ones real quick.

TortsNTurtles said:
Saleama said:

Do you still throw feed in daily ? Are they not active and hide or are they totally hibernating and not eating . This is an interesting thread as I plan to get some babies.

I do not feed them daily. I buy a few dozen crickets every other week or so and wake them up, soak them for about 20 minutes and put them in their tank with the crickets. They hunt them down like a pack of Velociraptors and then go back to bed. I might see one or two every few days if I get up early enough in the morning. I stopped placing new crickets in with them about a month ago because I discovered a secret den of crickets (about 20 of them) under the roof of the hide and they had started to hatch babies. But today all of the crickets have mysteriously vanished, lol. The picture I attached shows why!

Last edited by a moderator: