Do i need a friend for my Greek

Alchemist13

Hello!
So i have a little baby greek, i dont know male or female still and it's driving me mad. So no name yet either, hopefully will know by Friday. Anyway, i wanted to know if i should get a friend for my baby. My enclosure is fairly large, 40x20 or so.
just a question. also how big is my greek going to get? someone was telling me he could max out around a foot or so. And i would love that, would feel safer when it gets bigger and its time for the outside housing. But now i feel like i should have gotten a bigger tortoise as well.
Also i hear lots about cohabitation. Can i put a russian or leopard in with my greek?
Thanks all,
Austin

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
For the well being of your Greek, it should live alone, regardless of sex. They bully each other and could cause harm to each other. The baby will be much happier. They don't need friends.

I would not mix species of tortoises. One species can carry parasites and the like; that in the long run could result in sickness or death to your tortoises.

I have a 5 year old female Greek. She loves her environment and would hate a roommate. She would be the bully.

Can we see pictures of your baby?
:)

Alchemist13

Here ya go. If you would like more of have suggestions I'm open to all comments and criticism. And don't feel like you will offend me I'm hard to offend and I'm always looking for more info.
Thanks,
Austin

Attachments

• 1013151920_HDR.jpg
    1013151920_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 1013151935_HDR.jpg
    1013151935_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 1013151935a_HDR.jpg
    1013151935a_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks good but what about a tort safe bushy plant like a spider plant for the little one to hide under and feel safe?
If you sink it in the pot, level with the surface then it will be easy to swap with another if it gets nibbled.
(Any store bought plants need to be re planted in chemical free soil and a chance given for any existing chemicals to grow out
- see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants).

Alchemist13

Ill look at getting a spider plant today. How long should i let it grow before putting it in with him. He has two succulents with him now. Which were both safe from my research. If they arent safe ill take them out.
Is it okay if he nibles the plants in there wjth him?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ill look at getting a spider plant today. How long should i let it grow before putting it in with him. He has two succulents with him now. Which were both safe from my research. If they arent safe ill take them out.
Is it okay if he nibles the plants in there wjth him?
Some people wait 6 months or more if plants are shop bought, but that may depend on the plant. Do a search about it to see what that throws out.
As long as the plants are tort safe then nibbling will not be a problem.
The succulents will be Ok if you have checked them, but a bushy plant gives a good place to hide. have a look at the enclosures thread for ideas of what others are putting in theirs.

Alchemist13

Ah okay, well im going to go pull those succulents out and put in some of the ones from the garden. We have tons of succulents and wild strawberries and all manner of other stuff.
I didn't want to go ripping up the garden quite yet.
I'll take some picture of the plants i have outside and post them so people can give me yays or nays. i don't know what half of them are.
Also im soaking my little guy twice a week, should i increase that to more often? he has his own water. also how do you keep the water he's soaking in warm?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are the succulents shop bought? If they are organically grown they should be fine.
The tortoise table link above will help you ID plants and tell you what's safe.
I soak my leopard everyday because I work and don't see him drink so it is for my peace of mind that he is hydrated.
(he has quite a large tray (he is about 11" long) which I place over my sink, then as it cools I bail some water out with a old cup and top up with warm.
Some only soak their torts every couple of days the caresheet will prob guide you with that or do a search.

Alchemist13

They are shop bought. i have home grown ones outside to switch them with. This website is great thanks! Mine gets in his water. I'll start soaking more often just cause. last soaking was enjoyable i think for the little one, he washed himself and took care of natural business. Was cute to watch.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A cute little tort - GOD bless.:)

Torts are know for not being in need of company. They are solitary animals.;) Bullying and fighting could begin in such a case, and one tort may hurt/harm another.:(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How's the little fellah doing ?
Did you manage to get some spider plants ?
I use those, too, they're great.