Do I have to trim my tortoise's beak or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
If your talking about the same sulcata that has a bad eye a the moment, no. A baby beak is not long enough. Even as it grows you should be able to keep it under control by giving them a slate to eat off of and giving them raw squash to eat. Youshould not have to worry about trimming a beak for a long time, if were talking about the baby sully.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Someone tell me, is there nerve that goes through the beak? It sounds so cruel to me. They do that to chickens so they won't peck at each other when they are crammed into a small space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you clip it too short, or if it cracks and splits, yes it hurts the tortoise.

Yvonne

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Just feed your tort on slate or something rough and nature will take care of itself

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
It depends how long he beak is. If the tort can't eat because the beak is too long, then yes, it needs to be trimmed. A reptile vet can trim the beak for you.

Otherwise, feeding the tort on a slate tile should help file the beak down over time, and once filed, will help maintain a short beak.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree that having hard surfaces in the enclosure for the beak and nails is the way to go. I would only want to have a tort's beak trimmed (they usually use a Dremmel tool) if it was preventing them to eat.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
You could also try giving your tort a cuttlebone. They help keep beaks trim and provide some calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.