Do I feed my tort enough food ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
Hi I was just wondering if I am feeding my greek tortoise enough food ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367169428.276642.jpg
This is how much I would feed him daily I feed him once a day is it to much or to little
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well does he eat all of it. I feed mine what they will eat in a day. So if he don't eat it all cut back . And make sure he gets enough exercise. You don't want a fat tortoise .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If he clears his plate offer more. I feed Joe twice a day ish... more often if he's having a warm day where he's just piling the food away. He's an 'outdoor tort' and usually eats most first thing in the morning. I'll offer more about lunchtime and more still later if necessary. In between, he's grazing the garden... he's far from fat and I doubt yours is either. Russians have a reputation for over-eating, but Greeks less so.

Having just come out of hibernation, Joe's eating like he's making up for lost time at the moment.

micaelalovesmolly

5 Year Member
I feed him in the morning at around 7:00AM and he will be finished it all by the time I get home from school at around 4:00PM so should I give him more food when I get home ??
Thanks

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
A good rule of thumb is to offer a pile of food about as big as the tortoise (in volume, not mass), or to give the tortoise what he can eat in about 20 minutes. If you feed twice or three times per day, then divide by two or three accordingly.

My guess would be that your guy can't finish off the food in the picture above. If he can, that's fine, as long as he doesn't get too fat to withdraw into his shell, and as long as his growth doesn't get too fast and lead to shell deformity. However, a little bit of chubbiness is good. :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I bet that tortoise will eat that pile and more. Lol I've had Herman's and they can eat just as much as Russians and Greeks. I feed my Toetoises every other day, a fairly big amount. Tortoises will over eat and it's very easy to over feed a tortoise. I would say that like of food a day is way more then enough.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Millerlite said:
I bet that tortoise will eat that pile and more. Lol I've had Herman's and they can eat just as much as Russians and Greeks. I feed my Toetoises every other day, a fairly big amount. Tortoises will over eat and it's very easy to over feed a tortoise. I would say that like of food a day is way more then enough.

I feed my guys everyday, unless they are fasting (which they will do from time to time), in which case I might let them skip a day. They eat a big breakfast, and then nibble on the leftovers throughout the day. The rule of thumb I mentioned above seems to work pretty well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.