Do "blonde" Leopards keep their color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
I'm seriously on my way to a ban with all of my questions! :D I promise I'll pick up a couple books lol You guys are just so dag good! And I'm really just intrigued by Leopards and have tons of tortoise thoughts going through my head now! It's becoming a problem ;)

On to yet another question..
Looking at blondes (is that the right term or is it high yellow?), I came across a couple that have really sparked an interest. Hatchlings, will they out grow the color and turn neutral like the tan and brown babies?

Again and again I thank ya!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The color shouldn't diminish too much unless the animal gets sick...other than that, you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference as time goes by.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It all depends on how you raise them. Blonde or high yellow Leopards aren't genetic, they are produced by enclosure temperatures. If you raise a hatchling with a high warm end temperature it will be blonde, if you raise them with a lower warm end temperature than it will be normal colored. So the hotter they are the lighter they will be and the cooler they are the darker they will be. :D

Danny

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
egyptiandan said:
It all depends on how you raise them. Blonde or high yellow Leopards aren't genetic, they are produced by enclosure temperatures. If you raise a hatchling with a high warm end temperature it will be blonde, if you raise them with a lower warm end temperature than it will be normal colored. So the hotter they are the lighter they will be and the cooler they are the darker they will be. :D

Danny

Never heard that! You learn something new everyday....thanks Danny!:cool:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know blondes have more fun, but I can't say if they keep their color.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:

Danny

WHAT????:cool:

You theory sounds correct with millions of years and bio diversity, but the variation of an Ivory or morph that can be reproduced is the gene for Tyrosinase. That gene has been changed by a mutation, and now it no longer makes Tyrosinase. That change in the genetic code has made it so that now the middle amino acid in the chain is not the correct one.
Since Tyrosinase is needed to create melanin, the cell that has this gene is no longer able to create melanin. If this type of mutation happens--or is present--in a sperm or egg cell, the resulting offspring will be built out of cells that all have the same “defective” copy of this gene.
So how and where did this heat idea come from anyhow? …. I have produced hatchlings all the same temp incubated with definitely 1~2 “whites” out of a large clutch of normal’s from a particular female. Because *SHE* is the only one carrying that gene. Not because of heat/light after they hatched.
I’am curious on this one! :D
JD~

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I heard diet also has to deal with the color of leos, its very interesting none the less,

Status
Not open for further replies.