Dividing the tank question

samt23

so i have two different kind of tortoises, sulcata and russian and i can only have 1 tank, no what if, so i was wondering if splitting the tank in the middle without they ever touching is that enought for them not to get any disseases from eachother? would appreciate the help thank you

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I can't imagine any tank that would be big enough for those two. They each need a lot of room to roam.

samt23

I can't imagine any tank that would be big enough for those two. They each need a lot of room to roam.
they are both babies right now about 4-5 inches once the sukcata gets too big it will have its own enclosure outside of course.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No. I think that they need to be apart for them not to transmit diseases to each other. Not just not touching.
For example, my quarantine pen is about 50 feet away from my main enclosure.
Just to stop any bullying or other issues like that. I suppose it would work. But in all reality, at four or five inches each they already need several square feet of living space each. And they have different housing requirements. So having even one of them in a very large tank like a 100 gallon is already too small. IMO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with ZEROPILOT There is no tank big enough unless it was really huge. Besides, they would be sharing a bottom and things could spread under the divider if not properly sealed. Get another tank, or cheaper a large plastic storage tote. Much cheaper, lighter, and could sit on the top of the tank cross ways of needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is so wrong on many levels, but the most important one is that even a 100 gallon tank would be too small divided in half for a Russian. Your under 4" sulcata might be ok with that much space for a month or two, but a 4" russian tortoise is almost full grown, and he needs much more room than half an aquarium can offer.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
so i have two different kind of tortoises, sulcata and russian and i can only have 1 tank, no what if, so i was wondering if splitting the tank in the middle without they ever touching is that enought for them not to get any disseases from eachother? would appreciate the help thank you
I think you might be better off thinking in two levels, instead. If you choose to try to keep both, and have limited space, AND are saying the sulcata will be moved outside once larger, think about building a setup with a closed chamber on the bottom and an open table on top for the Russian. Just be sure to insulate the top of the enclosure (which is also the bottom of the Russian table) as it will add too much heat to the upper enclosure if you don't. Here is how I solved some of my space issues. Actually 3 levels. They are 3 feet wide by 8 feet long and 2 feet high. You just could make the upper enclosure and open table with the enclosed chamber beneath. Your sulcata will do much better in an enclosed chamber as well.

IMG_4115.JPG