Dozer and Tank update - intoducing torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
So Dozer and tank have been seperated for about 6mo. Tank is less than 1/2 the size the Dozer, so i've been hesitant to put them together.

In the summer, I let them near eachother for just a few seconds, and Dozer was grumpy for a week (see Good Tort Gone Bad post...).

So I built Tank a pen inside Dozers, but purposely made it so they could see and smell eachother. And in the shed, they were just seperated by a 1X12 board as well.

So they are somewhat used to eachother by now.

Then last month, I let them out together on a sunny but cool day. I figured the cool temps would have them both a little lethargic and not likely to get too riled up. And it did seem to work.

For about 5 mins, Dozer followed tank around. Smelling, a few curious bites on the edge of Tanks shell. Tank just kept eating and didn't even seem to notice Dozer. Dozer tried mounting Tank a few times (not sure if tank is male or female - keep meaning to post pics). And Tank was hardly phased, even though Dozer is much bigger. But Dozer eventually stopped after 3 or 4 attemps. Then he got bored and returned to his shed to warm up. Tank kept right on mowing my grass for another 10 mins.

So the next day I just removed the pen so they would share the yard.
But my concern was that Tank needed a place to escape if he\she wanted. And Tanks tort door was the same size as Dozers, and I did not want Dozer in Tanks room harrassing him. So I took a board and nailed it accross the door just a bit taller than tank, and low enough to prevent acceess to Dozer.

I have watched them ever since and have yet to see them interact. They are always out grazing and just minding their own business. Both very conent. Tank seems to appreciate the bigger yard and more grass and weeds. And again, I think trying this during the cool weather has helped. For one, it makes them less energetic and less likely to to engage in a fight. And for another, they are only out for 20mins to an hour at a time, and often that time period is not in synch with the other.

I'll keep monitoring them this summer. Not sure if there is a time of year when 'mating season' will kick in and make things more difficult. But so far, seems like the transition has been a success.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Good to hear, Chad...thanks for the update.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I posted some a month ago when I first put them together (Spring Time in Seattle? is the post title I think). I'll get some more soon...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Yeah!

I just read through that entire (very interesting) post, and was expecting to be rewarded with photos, because everyone on here knows that Chad loves to post photos! :cool:

I'm waiting here...;)

chadk

10 Year Member!
I was really just trying to share my experience in introducing 2 sullies. But I'll make up for it with a picture essay next time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.