Discreet eating? For baby leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham
Hello! I recently brought a baby leopard, I've had her now for maybe a month, she has all the necessities temp 80-95 night/day humid vivarium at 70-80% at all times, food bowl in themiddle of the tbank half way from the heat bulb and other side of vivarium, but I never see her eat?, she gets bathed daily, and seems active, reason I choose a leopard was because I have a sulcata and they seem to have similar deity needs and temps.

I wondered ifanyone else had possible trouble feeding a baby leopard?
She's fed an equivalent of mazuri as I hear it's good to feed younger torts, she doesn't seem to be so interested in spring greens..

Any ideas? Or if your had a similar experience what did you do?

Sent from my C6603 using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Not quite clear on what you are getting at.

Are you putting food in and it is disappearing, but you are not witnessing the feeding?

Or are you putting food in and it all remains untouched?

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Nottingham
Re: RE: Discreet eating? For baby leopard

Baoh said:
Not quite clear on what you are getting at.

Are you putting food in and it is disappearing, but you are not witnessing the feeding?

Or are you putting food in and it all remains untouched?
Haha sorry I tried tp put as much info down as possible and ended up.making it more complicated. I'm putting food down and wasting alot, I hardly see she's touched anything, not entirely sure she's eating it.

Yvonne G said:
Try placing the food right at the mouth of her hiding place.

We have a care sheet for leopards here on the forum:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63792.html

I'll try that Yvonne, she is always on the cold side of her viv.. Is this normal? My sully was always under his heat blub when he was younger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have the hiding place on the warm side, but the tortoise chooses the cool side, maybe the warm side is too warm??

At night when you turn off the lights, you can move the baby over into the hiding place. They usually stay put after dark. It will then get used to using the hiding place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my leopard was you g, I gave him two hides. Then he had a choice to sleep in a hide under the CHE or not. Also, give a bigger variety of food. Mine wouldn't touch Mazuri until he was over a year. Try endive, kale, mustard and collard greens, cactus, dandelion, romaine, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, roses, mulberry, grape leaves, to name a few. Check out tortoisetable.org for more ideas. My leopards fave was Christmas cactus and hens and chicks.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Mine didn't eat for 8 days when I got him, then when he did start eating, some days he'd eat, others he wouldn't. But as soon as he was comfortable and Id got everything set up right (my bad!!) he ate every day and hasn't stopped since!

Can I ask where you got your mazuri shipped from??? i can't find it anywhere cheaper than £50 and I dont want to pay that incase he doesnt like it... please reply :D :D

Sorry, my bad. Just read "equivalent" of mazuri. I assume you mean Zoomed Grassland? Ahhh, gutted now haha.

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Nottingham

LeopardTortLover said:
Mine didn't eat for 8 days when I got him, then when he did start eating, some days he'd eat, others he wouldn't. But as soon as he was comfortable and Id got everything set up right (my bad!!) he ate every day and hasn't stopped since!

Can I ask where you got your mazuri shipped from??? i can't find it anywhere cheaper than £50 and I dont want to pay that incase he doesnt like it... please reply :D :D

Sorry, my bad. Just read "equivalent" of mazuri. I assume you mean Zoomed Grassland? Ahhh, gutted now haha.

Thanks for your feedback so far, I've had her maybe 3 weeks, she's been outside few times in the sun and shade and seems happy and active, just haven't seen any food being eaten!, I guess she'd probably only eat a small bit as shes only 60g, just want to make sure if there is something wrong I detect itearly.

The stuff I use similar is komodo tortoise drops, they come in flower and banana flavor, although I too would like mazuri :D

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Robbie Denby said:
I guess she'd probably only eat a small bit as shes only 60g, just want to make sure if there is something wrong I detect itearly.

Awww she's teeny! Yeah that's probably the case, maybe your feeding too much so you can't tell whether she's eaten anything? You could try not feeding as much and see if you notice anything go 'missing'... eaten.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I think you need to try something different. First, do you know what the breeder was feeding them? I feed mine chopped up spring mix and add some different stuff eaach day, like mazuri, other greens and leaves.

I can place a huge pile of food in front of my five guys right now and they will devour it all. They are the same size as yours, so your little one should be eating more. Try to offer a variety, get plenty of sunshine and water. I bet she eats more soon.

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Nottingham

Greg T said:
I think you need to try something different. First, do you know what the breeder was feeding them? I feed mine chopped up spring mix and add some different stuff eaach day, like mazuri, other greens and leaves.

I can place a huge pile of food in front of my five guys right now and they will devour it all. They are the same size as yours, so your little one should be eating more. Try to offer a variety, get plenty of sunshine and water. I bet she eats more soon.

I usually offer spring greens, watercress and MED grass food and a type of mazuri at different times but I've seen little move, I offered her a dandelion today and she ate the petals off it and thats it.

I brought her from a individual store so I assume before she was fed zoo med grass

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
"I offered her a dandelion today and she ate the petals off it and thats it."

Thats sooooo adorable!! Did you leave the flower in there and leave? Because she might be shy of eating around big scary people. Im not trying to be patronising, that's just how she'll see you because she's only a baby. Have you tried a baby food soak?

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Nottingham

LeopardTortLover said:
"I offered her a dandelion today and she ate the petals off it and thats it."

Thats sooooo adorable!! Did you leave the flower in there and leave? Because she might be shy of eating around big scary people. Im not trying to be patronising, that's just how she'll see you because she's only a baby. Have you tried a baby food soak?

What's a baby food soak? Just food whilst soaking? Ahah, I do get the feeling she doesn't eat when people are watching, that's why I can never tell if she is eating or not ! Because I try to make sure she can't feel comfortable eating.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Greg T said:

Having one of the little ones from Greg T I can attest to their voracious appetites.

Status
Not open for further replies.