direct sunlight....

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanosuke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
malaysia
i dunno if this question had been asked or not....outdoor, is necessary for the tortoise/turtle to have intact with direct sunlight for the to get uvb??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To get UVB, your tort just needs to be outdoors. UV cannot pass through walls and windows (you don't get sunburn indoors), but even in the shade of a tree or with cloud cover, your tort will get UVB.

I tested this as a teenager, by failing to put on suncream on a cloudy summer day and getting my worst ever sunburn! :D

You tort does need some direct sunshine to warm up... the outdoor equivalent of a basking lamp, but that its all.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well UV does pass through glass, however its intensity drops down really quickly!! (so right by a window they will get some UV but a meter away they wont - even by the window would not really give enough UV...)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto with JoesMum. One more thing. Uv will not go through plastic either. Also, fine mesh/screen/wire will block a good deal of it. So if using a top on your torts enclosure, be sure it is out if a material that is spaced like chicken wire.

samanosuke

5 Year Member
malaysia
thanks for the information....what about the shade area??i mean shade area with no direct sunlight outdoor??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They will still get some. Outside, as long as the sun is out, even behind clouds, they will get some. In the shade, it reflects off on different things and that's how they still get it.

wellington said:
They will still get some. Outside, as long as the sun is out, even behind clouds, they will get some. In the shade, it reflects off on different things and that's how they still get it.

They still need direct sunlight available for them to get to, to warmEd up, like a basking spot, as JoesMum said.

samanosuke

5 Year Member
malaysia
wellington said:

wellington said:

They still need direct sunlight available for them to get to, to warmEd up, like a basking spot, as JoesMum said.

thanks for the informations.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I once read that there was more UV in the shade in Texas, than in full sun in Northern Canada.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
You could be right Tom, different places get differing intensities of UV (depends on the thickness of the Ozone layer above - as it is not an even layer) but then I could be wrong...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tom is right. North of the US/Canada border, there is almost no usable UVB in the sunlight during winter.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
We do everything Big in Texas...haha. Doc

Madkins007 said:
Tom is right. North of the US/Canada border, there is almost no usable UVB in the sunlight during winter.

samanosuke

5 Year Member
malaysia
wellington said:

wellington said:

i think my country is one of the most sunny country......even at noon the temperature can be reached until 40 degree Celsius (about 104 fahrenheit) at certain day...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. The closer to the equator, the stronger the UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.