Dinosaurs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I'm a HUGE dinosaur nut...that pretty much sums up this thread. Enjoy the pics!
------------
Orlando Science Center in downtown Florida

Mososaur skeletons. Mosasaurs are one of my favorite prehistoric reptiles. These things must have been super BAs of their day.

Platecarpus
platecarpus.jpg

platecarpus_skull.jpg

Tylosaurus
tylosaurus1.jpg

tylosaurus2.jpg

tylosaurus_skull.jpg

another species of smaller mosasaur
mosasaur.jpg

Tyrannosaurus rex
Rex_skull.jpg

Pachycephalosaurus
pachy_skeleton.jpg

Not exactly a herp, but still cool...Xiphanctinus, the prehistoric tarpon from hades!
xiphanctinus.jpg

This place also had a really cool bayou exhibit that featured aquatic turtles and juvenile alligators.
Bayou_exhibit.jpg

gator_turtle.jpg

turtles.jpg

Dinowalk Museum in Pigeon Forge, TN. Kinda pricey to get in, but we were on our honeymoon and had some extra cash to blow. Most of the dinosaurs were pretty close to life-sized and fairly anatomically-accurate, although one might debate the absence of feathers on some.

Sarcosuchus, giant prehistoric crocodile with a skull almost the size of a Camaro
IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Deinonychus
IMG_0559.jpg

Coelophysis
IMG_0560.jpg

Velociraptors attacking a Oviraptor
IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

Tyrannossaurus
IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

-------

Dimetrodon. Wouldn't one of these be cool to keep?
IMG_0569.jpg

Allosaurus
IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

compsognathid
IMG_0572.jpg

head of Apatosaurus (the entire model took up almost the length of the building)
IMG_0573.jpg

forgot what these were. Troodon, perhaps?
IMG_0574.jpg

Protoceratops
IMG_0575.jpg

Microceratops?
IMG_0576.jpg

------

some type of oviraptor
IMG_0577.jpg

Dilophosaurus
IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

dromeasaur
IMG_0580.jpg

Scutellosaurus
IMG_0581.jpg

Ornitholestes
IMG_0584.jpg

Herrerasaurus
IMG_0585.jpg

Parasaurolophus (Who remembers having trouble pronouncing that one as a kid?)
IMG_0586.jpg

------
another dromeasaur
IMG_0588.jpg

Ornithocheirus
IMG_0589.jpg

Styracosaurus
IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

mosasaur
IMG_0593.jpg

Albertosaurus
IMG_0596.jpg

Dimorphodon
IMG_0598.jpg

Postosuchus
IMG_0599.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool pix. Thanks.

I just took my five year old to the Santa Barbara Zoo to see the "Real Live T-Rex". As soon as she saw the dudes legs sticking out the bottom, she was soooooo disappointed. She was utterly disgusted that they had misled her in their commercials... :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, I know what she means. A couple years ago, our local science discovery museum has a dinosaur exhibit and I was kinda excited. The wife and I spend $37 total (included an IMAX showing which wasn't bad) and the dinosaur models were crap! They were animatronic, but they hardly moved. A major disappointment compared to this place. Hardly any of them were anatomically correct, and the dilophosaur model "spit" water (obviously, channeling the bogus notion from Jurassic Park).
-----

One of my guilty pleasures in life is that I collect the little Carnegie dinosaurs made by Safari, LTD. I'm 30 yrs old, and I still ask for these things each year for Christmas and my birthday. So far, the only place (not online) that sells them remotely close is the T-Rex Cafe in Downtown Disney in Orlando. Anytime we go down there, I usually get one or two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You know you are a nerd, right? Bad enough that you are now a tortoise nerd, but a dinosaur nerd too? :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I know. Its better than being a geek or a dork, though.

Nerd – intelligent, industrious, understands things

Geek – Interested in things that others are not interested in, know a lot about their interests, but usually do not understand underlying principles

Dork – Foolish, stupid, clumsy

There's a hierarchy, lol.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
We asked the BLM office here to send a paleontologist to talk to our students and they sent an historical archeologist instead. My partner teacher couldn't really grasp the difference and her students were also unprepared, so they were firing one dinosaur question after another. The guy did a pretty good job of answering. When the paleo retires, the archeo will be taking his place. He says he's qualified because he was once an 8 year old boy. I guess you'd be overqualified??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Neat they had one of my favorites (Styracosaurus). I was never into dinosaurs myself, but my oldest child was. He made sure I got a fairly good education in them as an adult. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Here I thought this was gonna be a thread about time travelling. :(
Nice pics BTW.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
One of my guilty pleasures in life is that I collect the little Carnegie dinosaurs made by Safari, LTD. I'm 30 yrs old, and I still ask for these things each year for Christmas and my birthday. So far, the only place (not online) that sells them remotely close is the T-Rex Cafe in Downtown Disney in Orlando. Anytime we go down there, I usually get one or two.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you are located but I'm 40 min away from downtown Disney... Let me know what ya need.. I'm always up for a shopping trip... Out in Colorado, we went to a mammoth dig site.. That got me paying a little more attention at a lot of museums and dinosaurs since then...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Had to laugh really hard at the visual I got of your statement here....well, I am a lady and I like to paint my toenails...and any women here know what happens when you go into the torts yard with yummy colored toe nails....OUCH would be an understatement with a Dimetrodon....lol :p

TRex of course always a fav here and all time fav is Pterodactylus....:p

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
mary t said:
Not sure where you are located but I'm 40 min away from downtown Disney... Let me know what ya need.. I'm always up for a shopping trip... Out in Colorado, we went to a mammoth dig site.. That got me paying a little more attention at a lot of museums and dinosaurs since then...

Don't tempt me!

Nah...they are still much cheaper online, but it is nice to go in that store whenever we're down there and see if they have one that I don't! Thanks for the offer, though!

ascott said:

Had to laugh really hard at the visual I got of your statement here....well, I am a lady and I like to paint my toenails...and any women here know what happens when you go into the torts yard with yummy colored toe nails....OUCH would be an understatement with a Dimetrodon....lol :p

Yeah, I was thinking it would probably be like having a giant monitor lizard with a impressive sailfin (of course, I know these guys were in no way related to varanids). I would imagine being a carnivorous reptile, the husbandry would be similar to that of a large monitor or crocodilian.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
ascott said:
Had to laugh really hard at the visual I got of your statement here....well, I am a lady and I like to paint my toenails...and any women here know what happens when you go into the torts yard with yummy colored toe nails....OUCH

I'm telling you, even if you have socks on, it's like they can see threw them... I've started wearing my garden crocs, when I remember and he can still home in on my toenails because of the holes. My family thinks its funny when I go out because I end up doing the high step dance all over his yard while he chases me...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
So now I know I'm not the only adult freak for the Age of Dinosaurs. I found a beautiful ammonite at a rock show which I bought. When my grandson saw it, he wanted to know more about it. I let him borrow my copy of Oceans of Kansas and next you know he and I had our own shadowbox display. In addition to the ammonite, it now has a mosasaur tooth, a Squalicorax shark tooth, and two small herring-like fish. He loves showing it off to friends.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
I've loved Dimetrodon since I watched a documentary on them ages ago. As for fossils, my Granny traveled all over collecting fossils, and when I was small she'd go around hiding them in the yard. Playing explorer is so much more awesome when you get to find a clutch of eggs, ammonites, or heteromorphs. All of which I still have.

Status
Not open for further replies.