Dinosaur food plant

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I am wanting to add some plants to my garden/yard this spring and was attempting to add things that could double as a food source for my torts. I came across some ants labeled "dinosaur food". So I did a quick internet search and gathered some info on the plant but not sure if I could feed it, and if so, could they eat it frequently or sparingly. Here's the info I got:
1.It's name is Gunnera Manicata, Dinosaur Food or Giant Rhubarb. 2.It's native to S America between Columbia and Brazil.
3. It's not really in the rhubarb family.
4. Edible when young, peel the leaf stems, slice and eat raw in a salad.

Could anyone advise whether this would be safe for sulcatas, leopards, and Aldabra? If so how frequently is suggested?

THANKS!

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
no. not really a food plant. Gunnera are eaten in famines, but not in other times. Horribly bitter. Not hardy in your zone anyway.
What in the heck is the problem with growing a vegetable garden and some edible weeds?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ok thanks.
There's no problem with the veggie garden and edible weeds, I have a veggie garden set up and edible weeds everywhere, I'm just amping up my landscape and thought planting some items that could double as a food source would be nice. I did notice the hardy zone on these stopped at 7 but I spoke with a lady that grows them in Canada, she simple mulches the area they are planted about 4" deep and hers comes back every spring. Figured I could try.