Diminished appetite and activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Should I be worried? My Hermann hatchling hasn't really eaten since Friday eve. His activity seems to be real low. Sleeps/stays in the warm corner all day.

Bathed daily, and offered fresh greens 2x's per day, he seems more content to slowly walk away from food.

No mucous coming from nostrils, eyes seem good... Is this just normal for a hatcling? HE ate ok the first 5 days I had him..

Thanks,

Rob

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Rob

I dont know if it is normal if your tortoise does not eat as she used to but when I got Hermy (she was 8 months) She was super active for 3 or 4 days. After 3 or 4 days she became less active. I think she was super active at first because she was curious and a little bit stressed (new home) but she was still eating. What are your temps?

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
ISa, Leonardo is only 2 month old. The temps are in the mid 30's C under the heat lamp and mid 20's C in the cooler side.. I think it's ok, unless my temp gage is wrong? it's a digital. Maybe I should buy another one to make sure it's accurate.

He has become very inactive. Sleeping all the time, and hasn't really eaten since Friday when he had his last good meal. Maybe he ate something he shouldn't have? I gave him mixed greens.

His eyes are ok, and no mucous coming from his nose.. I don't know what the problem is if there is a problem. I just hope he's ok. I contacted the seller and he responded back asking about temps too, then I never heard back from him...

Anyone out there want to give some feedback/suggestions?

Does anyone know of a herp vet in the toronto area?

thanks,

rob

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You live in To, there is huge reptile store there (Sorry I do not know the name). They were at the reptile expo in montreal, the owner of the store knew a lot about reptile, people were asking him questions. Maybe you could ask a reptile store if they know a good herp vet?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rob, Sounds like the temps are OK, humidity is about 44%. I went over your last few posts. Looks like your little Hermann "ate something that looked like clover" if it is not clover it could be Oxalis (sour grass) . This is bad for torts and for a tiny tort could make him sick. You are also giving him Calcium Per your other posts with D-3. If he is going outside D-3 should not be given. This could make him sick as it could cause an overdose of the vitamin.
Here are some sites with info on health issues
http://www.tortoise.org/general/poisonp.html
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
http://www.schildi24.de/en/health.html

In my opinion I would take your little Hermann to a vet if you can.

http://www.chelydra.org/reptile_vets_listing_canada_brtish_columbia.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_Canada

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Shoot, I just looked up "sour grass" in google images. My yard has lots of that ****! Damn, I think he might have ingested that...in fact I am sure he did.

Is it serious? will he overcome it? Darn, I could have sworn it was clover.

He does not go outside much. It's been raining here on and off for two days. I only let him out for 45 min to graze last week.

What can I do in the meantime until i find a herp vet?

Thanks so much for your input.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
I just came across a website that listed Italian dandelion (grown in enriched soils) and endive as being potentially problematic for torts. Limit the consumption of these items. This was a surprise to me as I thought dandelion is a fantastic food source.

What the heck am I supposed to fee this thing!? It's down to kale, hibiscus, grape leaves, and mulberry leaves, I guess... I even fed him the yellow dandelion flowes recently... aren't those supposed to be high in fibre and calcium?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
I just came across a website that listed Italian dandelion (grown in enriched soils) and endive as being potentially problematic for torts. Limit the consumption of these items. This was a surprise to me as I thought dandelion is a fantastic food source.

What the heck am I supposed to fee this thing!? It's down to kale, hibiscus, grape leaves, and mulberry leaves, I guess... I even fed him the yellow dandelion flowes recently... aren't those supposed to be high in fibre and calcium?

Mine loves watercress and spring mix. In the winter, it is really hard to find diversified food for Hermy.

Good luck with your little one, let us know what the vet says.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
siwash, dandilion is fine Kale should be very limited. Here is a good and easy list to help you find things for him to eat. http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/Diet.htm#plantlist
Also make sure there is not chemicals on his foods no pestisides or fertilizers that are not organic. A great organic fertilizer is his droppings by the way. I put there substrate on the plants they eats when I clean the enclosures. The plants love it.
You can also give him organic spring mix you get in the grocery stores. Just take out most of the spinich.
for now I would soak him in warm water If he is not eating I would still offer food daily try green or red lettuce even some iceburg (not good for food but will give him water if he is not drinking to help flush him out) You could try Yvonnes method of soaking him in some babyfood this will give him some nutruents especially if he drinks. Or soak him in a warm bath with Vita Sol (a liquid bird vitamin). Also one of Yvonnes posts stated "When my sister is taking care of sick babies she carries them around with her just to keep them awake. She also waves small pieces of food in front of their face. She doesn't let them just sit there and think about dying. She has pretty good luck keeping them alive and interested in living.

This goes strictly against what I've always thought. I always say to leave them alone and let them be a tortoise, but her "interference" works."

Of course there is the posiblity your baby may have been ill when you recieved it since you have had it for such a short time. You could also try feeding it baby food. just to try and get something into him.

Please remember I am no vet or Tort rehabilitator. This is just some things I might try if I were in your shoes. But I would definitely be looking for a vet and soon.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
siwash said:

I've been feeding dandelions that I purchased from an Italian market to my greeks and leopards since they were babies for more than 4 years now and they are prefectly fine. My adult Hermann's likes it too. Of course they also eat other things than just dandelions.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
thanks so much for all your help...

i will keep you posted

now to find a herp vet!

he is still inactive.. i ill give him a bath and get him hydrated.. at least he'll have mositure

Status
Not open for further replies.