Differentiating reptile tank & aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
Does anyone know how to tell them apart?? I have a 20gal tank that I want to fill up with water but I'm not sure if its suitable? Or no water at all? do both have sealant inside the edges& corners?
I live on a second floor so i dont want it to leak!
thanks..

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Maybe trial a little of water first (an inch or so, or more if you put it outside) and leave it for a while and see if it leaks

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The reptile-specialty tanks have sliding lids. Even if you're missing the lid, there'll be a gap along the front edge where the front of the lid sits... In some styles, there's no trim whatsoever here. In others, there's a small piece of trim with a small piece sticking out that acts as a lock. You slid the lid in, which has a matching piece, and stick a padlock or a stick in the hole.

Yes, the reptile tanks have sealant. From what I understand, the primary difference is thinner material--the reptile tanks will hold water without leaking, but they aren't strong enough to withhold it for a remotely significant length of time.

Oh, and the reptile tanks are significantly lighter than aquariums. Half as heavy, at least!

I hope this helps. =)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually when you buy a "viv" made for reptiles, even though it looks like an aquarium, it will have a sticker on it someplace that tells you NOT to use it as an aquarium.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
You'd be fine filling it up partway (~25%) with water for semi-aquatic species, but the glass is generally thinner than an aquarium so you shouldn't fill it up to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.