different greek types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
I hear alot about keeping tort species separate.

What about keeping different greeks separate? Greeks, goldens, hermanis?

It seems as though they have similar habitats and diets. I dont quite buy into the pathogen problem for captive bred torts as many breeders have multiple torts housed outside within range of ocasional and I never hear anything about that.

Any thoughts, for or against. (just not trying to start WWIII here)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Housing different species together is the pathogen thing. Housing different Greeks together is the breeding thing. Most TRUE hobbyist want to keep each strain pure, whether it be box turtle or Greek tortoise.

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Its not all a breeding and pathogen thing. Some males of some species are so agressive toward the females, they can actually puncture the skin on the legs of other species. The females of their own species have evolved to tollerate this aggression, and punctures to the skin are rare!

I read about this on tortoiseTrust, and my breeder said he got rid of his Hermanns because he (male Hermann)was causing harm to his greeks.

But you are right, many pet stores and some breeders mix them without issues. The pet stores never know the outcome of their actions. The more I read on this forum, and the problems people have keeping one or two torts of the same species, I personally don't want to take the risk of mixing species.

It really is a risk. While tortoises themselves are not too expensive, Vets are! Frequent vet visits and med costs will cost many times the tort itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.