Different colors of cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
Early on when I acquired the alpha female Brazilian we were just wanting her to make viable eggs. The former owner had 'young' males and she kept dropping 'dead' eggs. She started producing eggs right away but it took a couple clutches before any were fertile. Some of the early hatchlings looked "almost" Brazilian.. some looked like mixes and some looked all 'northern'. At that time my now alpha male Brazilian was still young and not sure how much he 'contributed'. All of this was explained when I sold the hatchlings.

It's unfortunate that some breeders feel they need to deceive just to make a $$$.

Even tho' this is off-topic.. the easiest way to determine a Brazilian hatchling is look at their plastron -

BabyBELLY.jpg

The above is only about 2 months old. They always have the dark "seams" right out of the egg!

Terry K

Good on your for selling them as mixes Terry, nothing is worse than someone trying to make a buck by any means necessary. I would actually like to see a thread where you show some of your Cherryhead crosses. This could better help those that don't want to be deceived if they want "pure" Brazillians. And it would also allow others to better identify them, and maybe for people that never plan on breeding them allow them to see if it's something they'd like to get as their lone tort.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Just curious, is there an easy way to tell if theyre pure cherry or mixes?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here are some of the hatchlings my girls produced. Rambutan's babies are pretty obvious as they all are orange. She also passes on the high bright neck colors to her hatchlings. These are old pics from earlier this year.
P1010091.jpg
P1010016.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Rambutan's first clutch were all yellow but eventually turned to a light orange color. Enjoy!

PS
How do I make the photos larger?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Bryan said:
Redfoot NERD said:
Early on when I acquired the alpha female Brazilian we were just wanting her to make viable eggs. The former owner had 'young' males and she kept dropping 'dead' eggs. She started producing eggs right away but it took a couple clutches before any were fertile. Some of the early hatchlings looked "almost" Brazilian.. some looked like mixes and some looked all 'northern'. At that time my now alpha male Brazilian was still young and not sure how much he 'contributed'. All of this was explained when I sold the hatchlings.

It's unfortunate that some breeders feel they need to deceive just to make a $$$.

Even tho' this is off-topic.. the easiest way to determine a Brazilian hatchling is look at their plastron -

BabyBELLY.jpg

The above is only about 2 months old. They always have the dark "seams" right out of the egg!

Terry K

Good on your for selling them as mixes Terry, nothing is worse than someone trying to make a buck by any means necessary. I would actually like to see a thread where you show some of your Cherryhead crosses. This could better help those that don't want to be deceived if they want "pure" Brazillians. And it would also allow others to better identify them, and maybe for people that never plan on breeding them allow them to see if it's something they'd like to get as their lone tort.

The best and only way to know the counterfeit is to first know the genuine!

The direct and simple disclaimer was: These hatchlings were from eggs laid by my Brazilian and the males could be Northern or Brazilian. That simple! And I priced them no more than the others.

Finding "locale-specific" ( Northern redfoot's ) is very difficult because they have been imported for so long that they have intergrated for generations!

Brazilians are considerably easier because of the shear fewer numbers.. and there are very few being produced in the states. Most come from a farm in Bahia, Brazil and we believe that there are only 1 maybe 2 that have "exclusive import" agreements. Of course there are always those that dispute everything.. take things out of context.. and try to emphasive exceptions! AGAIN we are talking "pure" and relative numbers.

As already stated.. if it doesn't have the "dark-seamed" plastron it isn't pure!!!
As a matter of fact the ones that bought my "mixed" were just glad to get one. "Most" of the mixes I've seen were not the most colorful anyway.

Look at this Colombia x Guyana - the mirror-image/patterns on his head -

TK3.jpg

And what he looks like 2 years later -

aPumpkinC.jpg

I happen to think it's as nice as any Brazilian out there!

Terry K

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here are the two bright orange subs that we have. It is amazing how much they match considering they are not related. They were a bit dirty, my husband had watered this morning. We are hoping that one is a boy as it is apparent the other is a girl. Worse case scenario we had two girls!

P1010026.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010044-1.jpg

P1010054.jpg

Here are some of our other adults that show the different colors the cherries can be.

This first girl has the most yellow on the nose we've ever seen.
P1010072.jpg

Classic reds:
P1010074.jpg

P1010075.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.