Different colors of cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
These are three of my adult breeding girls, as you can see I have a very orange cherryhead! The two middle pics are of Rambutan (my sweet orange girl). The first is Oren and the last is Gogo.

P1010070.jpg

P1010065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

P1010084.jpg

Enjoy!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Beautiful. How old are they and if you don't mind me asking how many inches are they long? :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
We measured them recently, I think Rambutan was around 11 1/2" Oren 11" and Gogo 8 3/4". When I get home I will confirm their sizes. I am not sure how old they are, when we got Oren, she was a large sub adult who was not ready to breed. We got her in 2006. Rambutan and Gogo we got in 2007. Gogo is one of those freakishly girls that was mature enough for eggs at a small size. She laid her first clutch last year.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Love those "Salmon" colors.. especially those yellow eyes that seems to be somewhat of a trademark.

Besides that young 'red' male I have an 'orange/pink?' and a dull red female. They come in a variety of colors and shades don't they allegraf?

NERD

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I love the off colored cherryheads. We also have two gorgeous bright orange cherryheads that look like they should be from the same parents. They are not, I will try to take pics of the orange subs this weekend. It is also frustrating when people see orange/salmon/yellowish cherries that they think they are mixes. The many colors are what makes them so neat!

Some of ours are brick red, waxy red, red with a lot of yellow, orange/salmon. Variety is fun! It is true that the lighter ones seem to have the yellow rings in their eyes.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice Allegraf....except for the thimble-sized pics...8P

I don't keep redfoots anymore, but I saved many of your cherryhead pics off of kingsnake.com

8)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I am still trying to figure out how to put photos on photobucket.

Candy:
Okay, I have the actual sizes as of 10/28/09:

Oren: 9 3/4"
Rambutan: 10"
Gogo: 8 1/2"

Boy was I way off!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Do you mind if others post pics of their different colored cherryheads on your thread here allegraf? Or would you prefer I start a different thread?

Terry K

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Sure, it would be nice to see all the colors of cherryheads.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
allegraf said:

Agreed, my only concern would be to make sure that we are only having pics posted of pure Brazillian Cherryheads and not mixes. This way people won't get confused. BTW-Beauty pics Allegra!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Bryan said:
allegraf said:

Agreed, my only concern would be to make sure that we are only having pics posted of pure Brazillian Cherryheads and not mixes. This way people won't get confused. BTW-Beauty pics Allegra!

Why the concern about mixes Bryan? We're talking sub-adult to adults aren't we?

Terry K

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Thanks Bryan. When I get home I will post some of Rambutan's orange babies. Her colors come out strong in her hatchlings.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
Bryan said:
allegraf said:

Why the concern about mixes Bryan? We're talking sub-adult to adults aren't we?

Terry K

Because IMO mixes should be categorized as such. This thread should be to show the variation in Brazillian redfoots and not get mixed up with Brazillians mixed with other types of redfoots. This could be a great thread to show people the diversity in cherryheads that occurs naturally without hybridization. Many have asked what cherryheads are, this is a perfect time to show them in their varying colors, sizes, etc. Tossing in mixes will just confuse people. I would propose a separate hybrid thread if they are to be shown, this would help people better differentiate them from pure stocks and also get to debate the pro's and con's of hybridization.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not totally sure, but I THINK Terry was thinking you were talking about mixing sexes, not mixing hybrids.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I think a separate thread would be a great idea for the mixes (cherryhead and redfoot). I actually purchased some from a breeder who was selling them as cherryheads. We now know better and can tell the differences between the mixes and the full cherries. They are very pretty torts but we do not consider them as cherryheads.

My grandmother also produced some mixes with her 12" redfoot female and her 7" cherryhead male. It was a surprise to us all that he managed to breed with her. My grandmother is keeping the majority of those babies and has given some to her neighbors. I will also take some pics and put it in the new thread this weekend! We also do not consider them cherryheads.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Early on when I acquired the alpha female Brazilian we were just wanting her to make viable eggs. The former owner had 'young' males and she kept dropping 'dead' eggs. She started producing eggs right away but it took a couple clutches before any were fertile. Some of the early hatchlings looked "almost" Brazilian.. some looked like mixes and some looked all 'northern'. At that time my now alpha male Brazilian was still young and not sure how much he 'contributed'. All of this was explained when I sold the hatchlings.

It's unfortunate that some breeders feel they need to deceive just to make a $$$.

Even tho' this is off-topic.. the easiest way to determine a Brazilian hatchling is look at their plastron -

BabyBELLY.jpg

The above is only about 2 months old. They always have the dark "seams" right out of the egg!

Terry K

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
ok pure cherry heads on this thread, someone with a CH mix start one on another thread, ok, label the topics clearly as such? FUN photos, here we come

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Back "on topic"...

This little guy is really my favorite.. colors and patterns.. a little over 6" SCL -

alittleBRlf.jpg

A little off-focus -

alittleBRrf.jpg

And this one is a lot of orange - ( they just won't sit still ) - right at 7" SCL -

aJRBR.jpg

More later...

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.