Diet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eajspider

5 Year Member
Hi

Its bubble and squeak's 2nd day and I am not sure they are eating properly. How much should a tortoise eat in a day they are the size of the palm of my hand not sure which tortoises yet we have but a Mediterranean one .

I have offered them grass , we are growing weeds but they are only inch shoots yet so can't really feed them to them yet.

what else for now that I can get my hands on can i feed them, i tried cucumber but now read its a poor food how about other greens like cos lettuce or other salad greens. Is grass good out here the grass is very tough as the hot desert heat but we have plenty of it , we have a couple of weeds in the kids plant garden i will take a picture late and post it to see if they are safe to feed them .

I am worried they are eating well , how much and how often to feed them .

Thanks Omar and Emma

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm not sure what you can get you hands on out there but have you tried dandelion, turnip tops, collard greens, yellow clover, kale (in moderation), grape leaves, broad leaf plantains, different varieties of squash, or purslane? These are all things that my little ones enjoy. Good luck! :)

eajspider

5 Year Member
How about banana tree leaves or mango leaves as we have a couple of trees in our garden? I could find squash or pumpkin in the supermarket do i peel it and cut into small sticks ? with dandelions do you feed them the green bit as well as the flower not sure we got any as the gardeners don't let them grow but will go on a hunt later for some , I read some where they like pansies is that correct and any kind as they are easy to grow and don't mind the hot sun. I feed them some of the baby shoots from the mixed weeds we are growing and they loved it, they don't seem keen on the grass maybe its too dry and tough. The rest of the above vegetables i would probably not find in the supermarket.

thanks
Omar Emma

Status
Not open for further replies.