Diet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinybit92

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
I was told that yes you can, though mine personally won't touch the stuff. I'm not an expert though so someone with more experience would probably give a better answer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine get a carrot once or twice a month, some people feed squash and such but mine love carrots, but feed sparingly.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Carrots are a good tread about once a month as dmmj stated above. You also want to avoid feeding your little friend any fruits.

Tyler

icicle

5 Year Member
I heard that Apples are good once in a while, is that true?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would avoid fruits if at all possible, carrots are very sweet, highest vegetable sugar content I believe. Try pear cactus if you want a fruit to feed.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
My Russian is very picky and will not eat carrots. I've tried giving them to her both shredded and sliced. She also doesn't like pumpkin or squash. Another shocker, she tramples Mazuri rather than eating it and doesn't like zoomed grassland either. She strictly likes spring mix, romaine, mustard greens, Collard greens, and once in a while some kale. When it's warm enough for her to be outside, she walks around, sleeps, and walks more. I've never seen her grazing.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
jensgotfaith said:
My Russian is very picky and will not eat carrots. I've tried giving them to her both shredded and sliced. She also doesn't like pumpkin or squash. Another shocker, she tramples Mazuri rather than eating it and doesn't like zoomed grassland either. She strictly likes spring mix, romaine, mustard greens, Collard greens, and once in a while some kale. When it's warm enough for her to be outside, she walks around, sleeps, and walks more. I've never seen her grazing.
sounds like someone has got a spoiled tortoise :)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Yes, russians can eat carrots but make sure she doesn't get too much high sugar stuff (carrots, squash, pumpkin, etc) and NO fruit if you can help it. Too much sugar will cause a parasite bloom, though pumpkin/squash is good for a treat as it has a natural dewormer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises 101 (Tony): I mean you absolutely NO disrespect. You have a great love of turtles and tortoises and have done quite a bit of research. I have much respect for you and your fervor, but I'm trying to get this falsehood updated, so every time I see it repeated, I try to counter act:

Pumpkin is NOT a natural de-wormer. If you want to de-worm your tortoise with pumpkin, you have to use the seeds. You have to grind them up and sprinkle them over the tortoise's other food.

Pumpkin SEEDS are a natural de-wormer (anthelmintic)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emysemys said:
Tortoises 101 (Tony): I mean you absolutely NO disrespect. You have a great love of turtles and tortoises and have done quite a bit of research. I have much respect for you and your fervor, but I'm trying to get this falsehood updated, so every time I see it repeated, I try to counter act:

Pumpkin is NOT a natural de-wormer. If you want to de-worm your tortoise with pumpkin, you have to use the seeds. You have to grind them up and sprinkle them over the tortoise's other food.

Pumpkin SEEDS are a natural de-wormer (anthelmintic)

Thanks for the correction Yvonne. You didn't offend at all.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I see no reason to feed carrots or fruits or similar...plenty of other healthier foods to use in a natural diet...I think they are too sweet & starchy to give any more than a few slivers every so often. My tort doesn't even like them anyways. Some better "treat" options for Russians are cactus pads, edible organic flowers, pumpkin, and butternut squash.

Status
Not open for further replies.