Diet change....

Status
Not open for further replies.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Is there a way to promote healthy gut flora that will help a Sulcata digest grass better? or will it just take time to develop on its own?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It should develop on its own, and is probably sped up by eating the droppings of other healthy torts. You can get 'probiotics' in the pet store or health store that are basically the same thing that should work (I doubt you need a special reptile version, but do not know that for sure.) Live-culture yogurt would work as well, but torts cannot digest dairy products.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am bringing this back up, because the big guy is eating a lot of hay and pooping a lot of hay but still not digesting it very well. I looked into some probiotics and am going to give him some equine probiotics. If no body knows of a reason not to, I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you are describing sounds normal. If the poo from mine sits out in the weather for a while, it starts to like like a little pile of dried grass again. Grass is very difficult to digest and most of it passes through undigested, but serves as necessary "roughage". Pretty similar to horses although horses chew theirs a bit more before swallowing. Post a pic of your torts poo and I'll post a pic of my torts poo and we can compare tortoise poo! What fun!!!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
P1030691.jpg

P1030689.jpg

If you guys say it looks digested enough than I won't bother with any probiotic supplementation.

Thanks Karl

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry Carl. I just saw your post. I was flying home from Mexico the day you first posted the poo pics. It looks totally normal to me too. Looks just like my torts poo. Hey that rhymed, didn't it?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am glad to hear that it looks normal, no need for diet additions then.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.