Diet advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Lease could I have all your comments on what you feed your tortoises?

I have an Indian Star and want to know what is best for him.

How varied can his diet be and how often can I change it? Can this be from day to day or week by week?

He is currently on a mix of carrot courgette curly kale & Timothy hay. What your comments?

Paradon

5 Year Member
Collard green is the best green you can buy over there if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what they called them in the UK...I think it's spring green. Do you guys get Mazuri over there. To me I think it's really good for rounding out the diet and boost the overall nutrition of the diet you offer him. Just feed Mazuri two times week and your tortoise will thrive.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is called rocket salad in the UK, same thing as spring mix here in the states. A diet of more leaves ad flowers of various plants ( dandelions and the like) and weeds would be a better choice overall.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks Paradon & dmmj

Will the spring greens/rocket salad provide enough fibre?

Also what's your thoughts on the hay? I was told this is ok to boost his fibre intake? but reading comments on my other thread under health, I've been told it's a big no no!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Any Dark Leafy Greens from the grocery store, spring mix,kale,Mazuri,Cactus,Grasses,calcium.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Stick with the dark leafy greens as stated above. Collard, mustard, turnip, endive, hibiscus flower and leaves, rose flower and leaves, burmuda grass, banana, yellow squash, dandelion. Mazuri is a good food. You can change up the fruits and greens every other week to keep it differently rotated.

Paradon

5 Year Member
you can pasture grass seeds at the feed store, too. Just throw it out in the backyard and they'll grow like weeds. They will reseed themselves every spring and if it looks a little thin just spread more seeds on the lawn...

Paradon

5 Year Member
Adding Mauzri to diet helps round and boost the overall nutritional value of the captive diet. In captivity it is hard to do variety and give them everything they need; that's why it's great to include them as part of the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.