Diamondback Terrapin Growth?

Delilah1623

Does anyone know how quickly diamondback terrapins grow? I got this little baby at a reptile show on November 9th and he weighed 11 grams. Today she is 15 grams.... is that slow growth? She eats like a pig and is active and friendly but i would have thought she would have gained more by now? 20141110_131824.jpg

Delilah1623

Guess some more info might be helpful too... she is in a 40 gallon breeder tank with a Fluval U3 filter. Water is about 80 degrees. There is a dock with a basking spot of about 95. There is also a reptisun 5.0 18" strip light. I feed her a variety consisting of omega one cichlid fish flakes, exo terrapin hatchling aquatic turtle food, omega one juvenile turtle food, reptomin baby sticks and a few times a week a piece of a freeze dried meal worm or shrimp. She is in brackish water even though she is captive bred as I did research on that and made the decision to go that way.

Delilah1623

Thank you! I guess as long as she's not losing weight I will try not to worry. Your guys are beautiful!

It is funny that you posted because at the reptile show I told my boyfriend.... "Someone on the tortoise forum had a picture of one of those on his profile and I thought it was a drawing, I didn't know there was actually turtles that looked like that!" And here you are :D

(And now i have admitted she was a total impulse buy lol)

Dont worry about growth rates and comparing. Every terrapin is different with its growth. Yours is growing and looks fine. So your good. These 3 terrapins are the exact same age.View attachment 107798