DFW Area Tortoise/Reptile Veterinarian? Respiratory Infection Concern

tpence1991

Location (City and/or State)
Coppell, TX
I honestly do not have an established veterinarian for my redfoot. I'm worried mine might be developing a respiratory infection and I guess it wouldn't hurt just to have her looked at. Anyway do any of you know of a good tortoise/reptile veterinarian in the Dallas TX / DFW Area?

On the concern of the RI. I noticed she occasionally makes these small squeaking/peeping noises. IDK if you can hear it (ignore the birds in the background), but here's a video I took this morning, there's one at just after 10 seconds in:

She seems to do it mostly when she's wanting to get out of her soaking tub or when she's trying to get away from me holding her. Its definitely not constant. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms and is otherwise acting normal. (She seems to have slowed down a little but I think that's more to do with it being winter time). My temps and humidity are all good and consistent, she eats and poops regularly, etc.

Regardless I will still take her to a vet. I just wanted y'alls opinions. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RIs are usually caused by cold temps. Double check temps in your enclosure by putting a digital thermometer that records highs and lows all around. Make sure there are no cold spots.

If your tortoise has slowed down for winter, that is an indication that its too cold and you may need to warm things up, and/or add a little lighting, or add time to the lighting.

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
RIs are usually caused by cold temps. Double check temps in your enclosure by putting a digital thermometer that records highs and lows all around. Make sure there are no cold spots.

If your tortoise has slowed down for winter, that is an indication that its too cold and you may need to warm things up, and/or add a little lighting, or add time to the lighting.

Tom I appreciate your input!

I bumped up the temps in her enclosure a few degrees and she seems to have been more active over the last few days. I just got her back from the vet and they said she seems to be fine and doesn't have symptoms of a RI. I guess she just squeaks sometimes ?‍♂️