Dex's growth rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I finally got a scale to keep up on my sulcatas weight. Dex is now 9 months old and is very healthy! Here are his stats:

C06239EC-7EC5-498C-BE0C-030BD0632221-3145-00000258CEDB36B0.jpg

DAB1B11A-10B3-47BE-B10A-999DB4E11359-3145-00000256C6ECC474.jpg

Is he at a healthy weight for his size?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
He looks great. A year from now he will be too big for that scale. Maybe sooner.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Dizisdalife said:
He looks great. A year from now he will be too big for that scale. Maybe sooner.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I could put some sort if plate down next time and subtract that weight. What do you do when they are larger? This scale is suppose to measure up to 11 pounds.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Blake m said:
Dizisdalife said:

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I could put some sort if plate down next time and subtract that weight. What do you do when they are larger? This scale is suppose to measure up to 11 pounds.

The Tare button on the scale should zero out the weight of the plate for you. For now I can weigh my tortoise on the bathroom scale. He is about 20 pounds. I have a box that I put him in and set it on the scale. He'll soon be so big that he (or the box he is in) won't fit on the scale. When he gets that big I will just have to hold him and step on the scale then subtract my weight. That should work for a couple of years.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks guys. And thanks for the input, I take absolute pride in my sulcata.

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
Blake m said:
Thanks guys. And thanks for the input, I take absolute pride in my sulcata.

Me too :cool: It's funny My girl tells me i'm TOOO into my little sully but she loves him to :p . . So is this your first tortoise?? Did you get it from a breeder?? sorry for the 21 questions just wanted to see the differences on our tortoises . . Thanks

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Carlos83 said:
Me too :cool: It's funny My girl tells me i'm TOOO into my little sully but she loves him to :p . . So is this your first tortoise?? Did you get it from a breeder?? sorry for the 21 questions just wanted to see the differences on our tortoises . . Thanks

My girlfriend use to give me a hard time about being "obsessed" over them but she really enjoys my tortoises. Dex is my second. I got a Russian tortoise a little over a year ago. I got him from a great breeder here on the forum! Don't worry about all te questions, I take advantage of any time I can talk about my guys.

SulcataDud3 said:
Your Dex looks to be showing signs of a female. You can tell by the tail.

I have been thinking about it lately. Interesting that you are making that guess. I do agree that Dex is making signs of a female, but it's really early to make that an absolute conclusion. The name is Dex because if it's a boy, it will become dexter, and f it's a girl, it will become dexie.

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
Blake the only prob is you name him already what if it ends up being a female.Maybe dexitia

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
waterboy said:
Blake the only prob is you name him already what if it ends up being a female.Maybe dexitia

I'll keep that in mind. We'll have to brain storm the next time we meet up.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
What a good looking tort, I like the nice dome shape of the shell! What conditions are you keeping for him/her? Temps, humidity, indoor/outdoor?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I just weighed Dex and a weight gain of 32 grams since the 13th! He's eating like a tank.

Dex is currently kept in a closed top glass tank. The dimensions are 60 in long X 18 in wide. In the spring he will be big enough where I will have a run that is 30--40 feet long. Night time ambient temps are always from 85-95 controlled by a thermostat, basking temp is 100-110, cool side is 85, ambient temp is 90-95. I soak Dex everyday for 20-30 min. I don't know the humidity percentage but I stick my hand in and it is always pretty humid from the damp coco coir. The water bowl is filled 2-4 times a day and evaporates quickly. I have a water bottle that I spray Dex with 4-6 times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.