Device to keep Tortoise head out while beak trimming

RobertFlak

5 Year Member
4 years ago my Dalmation tortoise (Rhialto) chomped on some chicken wire damaging the sides of his beak. As a result his beak no longer wears uniformly and the front of his beak continues to grow more and more pointy like a raptors beak.
I have an excellent Casfuy brand trimming tool I can use to grind his beak down in short order, however keeping his head out while grinding is a problem.

Not having anyone I trust to hold Rhialto's head out while I apply the grinder, I've been thinking of 3D printing some device (i.e. like a Pillory from Medieval torture days) to keep him from pulling his head back in.

Has anyone already made such a thing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I recently asked my tortoise vet, who used to be the vet at our zoo, a similar question. She said it's not a good idea due to the sensitive nerves, etc. around the neck.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have had experience grinding beaks on Sulcata...anesthetization is absolutely necessary...Mary Knobbins just had a beak trim last week, cost...$375...she is strong as hell. You might trim beaks on other species yourself.but Sulcata takes 3 people to do the job... I don't care who you are...ain't gonna trim Sulcata yourself...

dscn1721-jpg.358614

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When a beak trim is needed, I set the tortoise up on a raised platform of an appropriate size. I use an upside down five gallon bucket for large sulcatas, or a plastic cup for smaller tortoises. Being suspended this way tends to make them keep their head and limbs out. I've been able to do many trims all by myself.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I recently asked my tortoise vet, who used to be the vet at our zoo, a similar question. She said it's not a good idea due to the sensitive nerves, etc. around the neck.
Did she say what they did do?
I would think something padded, to fit right behind their head, which would then hold the back jaw/cheek area from slipping thru and being pulled in would be better then anesthesia.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I used Tom's method for my leopard when I had to file down his beak using a battery operated rotary nail file. He kept his head out the whole time. I rested him on a pot but did it on the floor to reduce the risk of a big fall.

RobertFlak

5 Year Member
When a beak trim is needed, I set the tortoise up on a raised platform of an appropriate size. I use an upside down five gallon bucket for large sulcatas, or a plastic cup for smaller tortoises. Being suspended this way tends to make them keep their head and limbs out. I've been able to do many trims all by myself.
Thanks. I never would have thought of that. I'll give that a try.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Do you place the tort upside down or right-side up on the container?

J

RobertFlak

5 Year Member
Do you place the tort upside down or right-side up on the container?

J
I assumed he meant flip them upside down, but after re-reading his post it seems he means right side up, which isn't going to work for my tortoise as in that position he will pull in his head.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I assumed he meant flip them upside down, but after re-reading his post it seems he means right side up, which isn't going to work for my tortoise as in that position he will pull in his head.
Try it. Hanging over the bucket, like in Toms pics, usually will get them to let their legs hang and head be out.