Designing tortoise yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
This is the area I am planning to build my tort yard.

View attachment 16026

It is about 30x30 feet.
I have a lot of work to do but also a lot of time.
It will be at least late spring early summer before they will be outside supervised let alone by themselves.
I am planning to plant some mixed grasses and weeds.
I was wondering if any of you have had good success with any particular plants or shrubs that are tort friendly.
Also should I cover the bottom of the chain link so they can't see out? I would like to be able to see in but I don't want them to get hurt trying to get out.

alzeal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA, USA
Nice looking yard. I've started to grow a sulcata seed mix from sulcatafood.com. My little sullie loves it. www.carolinapetsupply.com also has a good pasture mix everyone here has been talking about. Grows easy and fast. There is also a whole list of acceptable plants somewhere here on the forum. Just search for it. Anyway just line the perimeter with a row of cinderblocks. How big are your sullies?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out thetortoisetable.org for the plants. Also I do believe you do need to re-enforce the bottom of your fence or they could dig out. I don't have a digging species. I am sure more members will comment soon.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
as long as they have plenty of hiding places and a house to do into.. they may not dig.. but you may need to black the visual thru the chainlink..

M

Maggie Cummings

Part of Bob's fence is chainlink, and while he looks out at times he has never tried to dig out.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I am not so much worried about digging out. I have a 18 inch concrete footing the entire fence line. I am only concerned they may hurt themselves trying to dig out if they can see through.
I would prefer to be able to see in to watch them but their safety is the most important.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock has never tried to dig out either.... he just waits till someone leave the door open then makes a break for it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.