Desert Tortoises

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'm trying to help someone rehome 15 Desert Tortoises. They are currently located in AZ so that is where they will need to stay. Obviously per laws, there will be no "rehoming fee" If you have an area where they can live happy and healthy please send me a pm and we can discuss this further. Thank you!

Grady27

Hello do u have any female desert tortises I have a male and I'm looking for a mate for him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello do u have any female desert tortises I have a male and I'm looking for a mate for him

Grady, That is against the law. You are not allowed to breed desert tortoises, unfortunately. Sorry kiddo. We don't make the laws, we just want you to know what the laws are so you don't break any of them with this protected endangered species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Who knows why we have half the laws we have. That is a "whole 'nother can o' worms". Best to ask your parents why lawmakers do what they do. My opinions about the subject might be different than what they would like you to learn.

Grady27

Ok.but what if I just get a female and don't expect them to have baby's and they do what happens to them

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The law is in place due too if they are not aloud to breed in captivity then the one's that are in captivity get old and die there's no more captive ones to replace them . So in saying that the tortoise will be in the wilds where they belong . If you breed them you're just adding to the problem . The thing that needs to be happening is to set land aside for these tortoises and setup a breeding program that they can repopulate that land .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok.but what if I just get a female and don't expect them to have baby's and they do what happens to them

Your not supposed to put males and females together. Also this species does not do well living in pairs. They do best alone. Males will harass females to the point that they can become sick or die.

Also, what would you do with the babies? You can't sell them. Do you have a dozen adoptive homes lined up for babies? Are you going to keep them? As they age each one will need to live alone. Do you have the space, time, resources and your parents permission to make 20, 40 or 60 desert tortoise enclosures in your back yard?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The AZ law says you have 2 years to adopt out the baby's or turn them in to AZ fish and game . But I too would love a female or two .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's best to leave desert tortoises alone. Get a different tortoise and breed it like Russian tortoises so they will not be collected from the wild.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Is the OP still looking for a home for the tortoise? I see this thread is a few weeks old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The law says that if your female desert tortoise lays eggs, you are supposed to leave the nest alone and let nature take its course. Here in my yard that means to allow the red ants to eat the eggs.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
By-Law, By-Law, By Law!!!!!!????????

Grady27

Ok ya I was planing to give the tortoises throughout my family within 2 years yes I wasn't going to keep them all

Grady27

No tom I don't have enough space I am going to keep 1 and give the rest to family in arizona

Roandy

Grady, That is against the law. You are not allowed to breed desert tortoises, unfortunately. Sorry kiddo. We don't make the laws, we just want you to know what the laws are so you don't break any of them with this protected endangered species.
So is against the law???? well you tell me if its better to sit back and try to slow extinction? Or do we try to reproduce and restore some of the diversity that has been lost? And who said that it's against the law???? Because last time I check it was all the way around.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry, just now reading all of this. All of the tortoises have been re-homed. Thank you everyone.