Desert Tortoise inclosure pics... post yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corona ,CA
OK... so I was looking thru the site and even under enclosures. But I really just want to see what kind of interior set ups some of you have:rolleyes: I am planning on keeping my torts awake and warm for this winter and want to do best by them ;) My DT's are about 8" long and 5" wide, I'v had them in a big fish tank over the years. Sadly with just sand :( but now ready to build it right.

So what do you guys got set up?
Thanks !:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please bear in mind that these pictures were taken today, and the habitats haven't been in use since this past winter, so they're not cleaned up. But this is my carport:

carport-1.jpg

The carport is behind the house and, thankfully, can't be seen from the street. So its only an eye-sore to me!

There are several cinderblock "houses" on the carport, and I only use them if I have to keep a tortoise awake for the winter...a sick box turtle, baby tortoises too young to hibernate, etc.

Here's what one looks like opened:

carport-2.jpg

And down inside:

carport-3.jpg

These are bare bones, temporary habitats, just good enough to get the job done. They're not made for their aesthetic value.:D

Yvonne

tortoiselover

5 Year Member
Here is the one that I had outside and then it got cold and rainy so we improvised and brought in inside! since then I had a little hatchling, so now it is on top of part of the larger guys enclosure.

Deserttortoiseindoor.jpg

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Now I was looking into using lamps like that for heat lights or MVB but I didn't think you could because it had to be a ceramic socket. Are those just regular bulbs? Just very interested, not to hijack

tortoiselover

5 Year Member
They are not ceramic sockets as I feel that is more hype than actual necessity. I have a 26w UVB bulb a 50w spot light and a 100w spot. The lamp said not to use any bulb over 100 watts, but I like to live dangerously so I put them in. I am not even concerned with fire or whatever the manufacturer may be worried about but I believe that the factor of safety on the sockets to be like 1.5 or 2 (thus a 90 - 120 watt bulb should be fine)

Stitch

5 Year Member
Corona ,CA
That brings up a good question... lighting. I am ready to buy some bulbs for indoors, not sure what to buy? I can use a clamp light or like a flouresent. I am guessing the Plant & Aquarium or the full spectrum lamps @ Home Depot are NOT ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.