Desert Tort Yearling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
:( yes i am re homing a my baby. He has been outside most of his life and we are forced to be apartment bound for quite some time. i just couldn't take away his natural sunlight. He LOVES it outside.

Hatch date: Nov. 2009

Adoption price for him and his home: $150 (??)

Thanks everyone for EVERYTHING. You all helped me out so much here and I'll be back. :)

Shannon

PS: I'm located in Phx, AZ and will not ship! :/

100_5888.jpg

100_5892.jpg

100_5891.jpg

100_5890.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it is Illegal to sell desert torts...
you can sell all the equipment and include the tort for free..
and he cant leave the state...
Im sure you can still find a great home for him.
Sorry you have to part with him..

maybe your apartment will have a nice sunny balcony?

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
I know we can't sell them but I though adoption/rehoming fees were okay? And I'd never let him out of state....no worries. :)

PS: our aparment is in total shade all day long. :( I've exhausted all options at this point. He is my sons pet and I really was hoping to be able to get him something in return for having to give him up b/c of the situation we (his parents) are in. :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Maybe you can find someone to keep him until you can find a way to get him back in the sun.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
We have medical bills piling up and plan to be in a small apt. for a few years at least. Thanks for the tip though. I'd totally lower the fee if anyone feels it's too high. i don't even know where to start with that. :/

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am in California, so I am not an opption, but I would list the equipment for sale with a free tort. , and only rehome him to a TFO members. You do not need a huge fine right now. So be VERY careful :) and good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know if it is different in AZ but in california you can't sell say 200 dollars worth of equipment and then include a free desert tortoise. I would be careful about this so you don't get a 10,000 dollar fine.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I was going to not even look at this thread because I became initially very angry when I read the title of your thread.....BUT I read anyway....TRUST ME you absolutely without exception ...no way around it 100% against the law can not sale a Desert Tortoise....I know for a fact that Fish and Game view sites randomly along with sites like Craigslist in hopes of finding items listed as yours....I would hope that you would contact a local Tortoise Rescue and safely transfer this protected Desert Tortoise to an organization that can care and adopt out to a family wanting to host....this Desert Tortoise isnot owned by you...none are privately owned...only cared for...the State will always remain the forever owner....if you are in financial downturn right now I understand totally you losing your wherewithall to want to recoupe your money on the stuff...but come on now...please do this the right way :shy: I wont preach anymore and am in no way trying to start any crap....but please remember all the rules and why they are established in helping these guys out...I truly wish you and your family all of the best...I really do....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shannon:

I'm so sorry that you have to find a new home for your tortoise. That's really hard.

But everyone here is correct. You can't even ask a re-homing fee. It is strictly illegal and subject to a high fine if you take money for a desert tortoise.

So, I'm moving this thread to the adoptions section (if its still on the forum), and I hope you place a new "for sale" ad showing only the tortoise's equipment for sale.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Also please becareful who you rehome him to. He is too cute to go to a bad home. I sure hope someone here will adopt him.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I'm sorry you have to let him go. He's a cute one. Good luck with rehoming him!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello Shannon....here is a starting point of group that has alot of caring members....I am familiar with the High Desert Chapter;
California Turtle and Tortoise Club
Dave Zantiny is main contact
www.CTTC.com

Their site will get you toyour closest Chapter.

My heart hurts for you in this venture.

Shannon....I forgot to tell you in my last reply....while I have given you the California club contact....they can give you contact in Arizona :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
ascott said:
Hello Shannon....here is a starting point of group that has alot of caring members....I am familiar with the High Desert Chapter;
California Turtle and Tortoise Club
Dave Zantiny is main contact
www.CTTC.com

Their site will get you toyour closest Chapter.

My heart hurts for you in this venture.

Shannon....I forgot to tell you in my last reply....while I have given you the California club contact....they can give you contact in Arizona :)

She is in AZ I would look and see if there is a equivalent to the CTTC in AZ.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
You should repost looking for a TFO member in Phenix that would take him.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Nascarmw has a friend in AZ, I sent a PM, she wants a tortie super bad. I don't know if they are close to each other. I hope to hear from her!

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Thank goodness! But we had an unexpected lucky streak and we are now in the market for the perfect HOUSE and i plan to find the ideal yard for my little guy. I was so saddened by having to give him up and then scared b/c I was not aware of all the rules with his breed. He was given to my son as an unexpected but always welcome birthday gift and he would also be sad if he left...even though he thinks he is "Boring" lol. Thank you for you advice and interest and I hope to continue speaking with you all here! I'll need tips for the perfect, zoo type, outdoor habitat for my little Rascal.

Thanks again everyone!
Shannon, Noah and Rascal :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
That is great news, remember think of future tortoises also, plan ahead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.