Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is her first clutch of 2011. Laid on 1-21-2011. You can easily see the one hatching on the lower left, but look real close at the one on the upper left. That's the egg that I clumsily cracked while digging them up. You can see the shell is cracked at the top in two places, but the inner membrane was still intact so I put it in the incubator anyway. Sure glad I did! See the one marked "J"? Are you ready Jacqui?
2hs2att.jpg

90u9vm.jpg

I'll do a for sale thread in a couple of weeks or so.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow Tom that's wonderful about the cracked egg! A nice lesson for all of us tortoise breeders to put that egg in the incubator just in case. They all look good. How many do you perceive to be viable?

Those eggs are sure slippery aren't they? I guess that's a good thing so they don't crack when being released into the nest chamber.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Congratulations,Tom! There's nothing like seeing those babies for the first time.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Exciting! Glad to hear the cracked egg was not a loss!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All total I think there are around 30 that are viable, but luckily, I've been wrong about that before.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
this is really fun to watch. are there any webcams within this group for hatching eggs?

HankC13

5 Year Member
Southern California
Aww babies! Are female sulcatas protective of their nest? Or do they just lay n leave like sea turtles?

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Tom, congrats! so how many days was it for the 1st to hatch? And what temp did u have them at?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. :)

Joy, we used to have a member with webcams, but he's moved and not set them back up since then. I don't know of any right now.

Hank, They just drop 'em cover 'em up and walk away. In fact sometimes they will come back to the same spot a month later and dig up their first nest, killing the eggs, so they can lay another clutch.

M Jr., This batch was laid on 1-21-11, but I didn't find them and put them in the incubator until 1-31-11. So the first pip was at day 99 at 88-89 degrees.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Very cool Tom, always interesting to see that process as it happens...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I was wondering what became of those eggs that you were telling me about... now I know. Good story, you should give some more background

Tom said:
M Jr., This batch was laid on 1-21-11, but I didn't find them and put them in the incubator until 1-31-11. So the first pip was at day 99 at 88-89 degrees.

AdamR

5 Year Member
Tom they look great! Keep us going with fresh pics! I incubated a chicken once with a cracked egg but never a reptile!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
How cool! I can't imagine how excited Jacqui must be just waiting on the baby to "wake up" and get outta his/her shell! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
zoogrl said:
How cool! I can't imagine how excited Jacqui must be just waiting on the baby to "wake up" and get outta his/her shell! Thanks for sharing! :)

:D Actually with my luck, I am waiting for it to turn out to be a dud. :D Or maybe that will prove to only be true of the eggs I get here. :rolleyes::D

Status
Not open for further replies.