Delivering Tortoises via FedEx

sarah.mandol

5 Year Member
This isn't meant to cause a debate about shipping. I'm just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar. My mother-in-laws tortoise came today and was left in a bag hanging off the mail box. Thankfully, I was tracking the shipping and got the alert right away!
Tortoise is totally fine!
Box was adequately marked that there was a live animal inside!

6C529017-32E9-4EDD-91DE-CC706832204A.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That driver needs to be reported. He's obviously never heard about not allowing your child play with plastic bags because they are a suffocation hazard. To say nothing about the green house effect of the sun on the bag. What a stroke of luck you were tracking the package!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never had anything like that happen. I agree with Yvonne. Report this ASAP. Not everybody understands animals and their needs. Since my career and my hobbies are all so animal related, I really see this first hand on a regular basis. So many people in the general public have grown up in concrete cities and are just plain ignorant about anything relating to animals. That driver needs a lesson.

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
Sarah... if you haven’t already reach out to your shipper and let them know what was occurred. That’s yr first step.

I can’t tell by your profile where you are located. If you aren’t in an area totally locked down find your local Fedex station and either go in or dig online for a local phone number. The 1800# is a huge crap shoot and you could call 20 times and never reach a helpful person. ((Saying “representative” gets you a person sooner)).

If you need further help let me know. I will need either your location or the code off yr box. It will show something like HOUS XB.

Unfortunately right now some stations are not educating their couriers as to the fact that some packages need a phone call or someone to actually answer a door to take package. They are being told to dump and run. Safer for them, safer for the customer. But this isn’t always the case for the contents of some packages.

I am deeply sorry this happened to your family. And I hope your little guy or girl is okay.
-Meg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is also the option of having them "hold it at the hub". When the package comes in in the morning, they will hold it at the FedEx Hub nearest your house. This means you can go pick it up as early as 8:30 or 9:00 am, and your package will not be on another truck or get handled by another person. It will stay in the climate controlled building until you come and get it.

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
There is also the option of having them "hold it at the hub". When the package comes in in the morning, they will hold it at the FedEx Hub nearest your house. This means you can go pick it up as early as 8:30 or 9:00 am, and your package will not be on another truck or get handled by another person. It will stay in the climate controlled building until you come and get it.
And Tom is absolutely correct. Some areas even have hold at Walgreens. Dollar Generals. Supermarkets. Etc. In which case those packages have to be to those locations by 1030-1200 in most areas. Which might not be something I would do for a reptile but something I would do in the case of meds, gifts, etc. Especially if your driver doesn’t make it to your area until late or is a #$$%<}€.
-Meg

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
yep FedEx sucks they were over four hours late meaning they were driving around with my baby all day long and it was actually very warm out that day which had me concerned I was continually blown off call after call sat on the phone for 40 minutes at one point trying to get ahold of a person ....the first time I got a hold of them which they were an hour late they apologized and said they would have dispatch contact the driver and text me how long before he would be here but then I would end up waiting three more hours trying to get a hold of them several times and finally showed up 4 hours past the delivery time feel like I should have got a discount on the overnight shipping for having to wait four hours on something that could have almost been dead because it was hot enough out that day...???

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
yep FedEx sucks they were over four hours late meaning they were driving around with my baby all day long and it was actually very warm out that day which had me concerned I was continually blown off call after call sat on the phone for 40 minutes at one point trying to get ahold of a person ....the first time I got a hold of them which they were an hour late they apologized and said they would have dispatch contact the driver and text me how long before he would be here but then I would end up waiting three more hours trying to get a hold of them several times and finally showed up 4 hours past the delivery time feel like I should have got a discount on the overnight shipping for having to wait four hours on something that could have almost been dead because it was hot enough out that day...???
But she turned out to be an amazing beautiful little leopard....??20200506_174327.jpg20200514_062911.jpg20200513_182023.jpg

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
And Tom is absolutely correct. Some areas even have hold at Walgreens. Dollar Generals. Supermarkets. Etc. In which case those packages have to be to those locations by 1030-1200 in most areas. Which might not be something I would do for a reptile but something I would do in the case of meds, gifts, etc. Especially if your driver doesn’t make it to your area until late or is a #$$%<}€.
-Meg
Just over two years ago I received my baby Sucata delivered by FedEx overnight. I also was watching for delivery when the delivery man exit his truck he was tossing the box up in the air and playing catch with it until I seen him and told him what was in the box. The box was marked with stickers with arrows stating this end up and Live animal. I don't believe they care what in the package, to them it just a box. I reported this driver.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Just over two years ago I received my baby Sucata delivered by FedEx overnight. I also was watching for delivery when the delivery man exit his truck he was tossing the box up in the air and playing catch with it until I seen him and told him what was in the box. The box was marked with stickers with arrows stating this end up and Live animal. I don't believe they care what in the package, to them it just a box. I reported this driver.
had I seen a driver doing that with my box I would have punched his lights out after I got the box away from him first of course... LOL

sarah.mandol

5 Year Member
Box was marked on all side and over the shipping label! It blows my mind. It also had air holes.
I did report it to make them aware :)
Thanks everyone for sharing info!

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
This isn't meant to cause a debate about shipping. I'm just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar. My mother-in-laws tortoise came today and was left in a bag hanging off the mail box. Thankfully, I was tracking the shipping and got the alert right away!
Tortoise is totally fine!
Box was adequately marked that there was a live animal inside!

View attachment 294497
Even though my tortoise was shipped OVERNIGHT, FedEx ignored that and was holding it in their warehouse. I was also tracking the shipping and luckily we were able to run to the warehouse and retrieve the tortoise before they closed. Not cool. I informed the breeder and they said FedEx had been a problem in the past. He deserved to get his money back because I paid him and he paid them for OVERNIGHT.