Delaware Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Ashley was browsing craigslist and stumbled upon this posting. Someone in Bear Delaware has two sulcatas that are pyramiding that they're looking to get rid of as well as a box turtle. We called and they want $100 each for them and sadly we can't afford that right now, is there anyone out there who would be willing to give these guys a good home?
5I85Ee5F13Ia3Nd3Hdc6laf6b1b7c2a3116ca.jpg

http://delaware.craigslist.org/pet/3092116085.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Lovely! Nothing better than having the TOILET as a backdrop for your craigslist ad.

Joiner

5 Year Member
They don't even know how to spell. In the add it's "circata". It's so utterly frustrating. It's rather obvious they don't know how to care for these creatures. And considering they have a box turtle too, I would wager to say they figured all of them had the same care.

happytrees72

5 Year Member
I am close to them and made what I felt was a fair offer and I received the usual I paid top dollar for them and would like to get back as much as I spent. I feel if I am going to have to pay for a tortoise I am going to go pick out one I love not one I have no idea of what care they have or haven't had. I felt offering 50 each for them that one will need a visit to the vet to make sure they are healthy enough to join my community. So if you make an offer for them its a top dollar offer.

collinmcd

5 Year Member
Southeast PA
I live 25 minutes from bear, if someone would design a outdoor enclosure for me to build I can buy these guys within the next 2 days and we all can work together to get them healthy again.

happytrees72

5 Year Member
I let them know that it was a standing offer should they not get any interest. Witch I doubt because they want to recover every dollar they spent on the tortoises including food...lol... but I honestly feel asking full price of what you paid for something regustdless of what it is doesn't make sense to me. If I had to pay full price for something I would just go to the store and buy it with a warrenty and garentees for that item. Can someone explain to me the logic behind asking retail price for a used item that you no longer have a use for

boxtort

5 Year Member
hey folks, i joined even though i don't own a tortoise. i am a long time reptile owner, including several different types of turtles. i live in PA and have been looking for an eastern box turtle. i didn't want to breeder-purchase or wild-catch so i've been hunting craigslist for a rescue situation. i found this thread by googling "circata" and figured this box wasn't getting very good treatment either. i just got back from paying $20 to rescue him. the owner is living in a hotel with the box allegedly running loose with a rottweiler and pit bull (and most likely the torts too. i wasn't allowed to see the living conditions, he met me in a nearby parking lot) when i was handed the box he was partially closed, peeking out of his shell. he began to come completely out of his shell as soon as he was in my girlfriend's hands. he was still wet from a "cleaning" which had not removed all of the feces he was covered in. i couldn't tell if it was his, the torts, or the dogs, but.....ugh. he was so covered in it that one eye was crusted shut. i bit my tongue and left before i could really start to get pissed off. i stopped at the first opportunity to buy water, sponges and paper towels. by the time i got back out of the store he had already cleared his own eye back open by pushing his face into the grass the gf was letting him romp in. i spent a good ten minutes cleaning him off. by the time i was done he was fully extended, both eyes open (apparently no damage, thank goodness) and obviously ecstatic to be anywhere than where he was just liberated from. i wish i had the money and space to rescue the torts myself. keep me posted.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
boxtort said:
hey folks, i joined even though i don't own a tortoise. i am a long time reptile owner, including several different types of turtles. i live in PA and have been looking for an eastern box turtle. i didn't want to breeder-purchase or wild-catch so i've been hunting craigslist for a rescue situation. i found this thread by googling "circata" and figured this box wasn't getting very good treatment either. i just got back from paying $20 to rescue him. the owner is living in a hotel with the box allegedly running loose with a rottweiler and pit bull (and most likely the torts too. i wasn't allowed to see the living conditions, he met me in a nearby parking lot) when i was handed the box he was partially closed, peeking out of his shell. he began to come completely out of his shell as soon as he was in my girlfriend's hands. he was still wet from a "cleaning" which had not removed all of the feces he was covered in. i couldn't tell if it was his, the torts, or the dogs, but.....ugh. he was so covered in it that one eye was crusted shut. i bit my tongue and left before i could really start to get pissed off. i stopped at the first opportunity to buy water, sponges and paper towels. by the time i got back out of the store he had already cleared his own eye back open by pushing his face into the grass the gf was letting him romp in. i spent a good ten minutes cleaning him off. by the time i was done he was fully extended, both eyes open (apparently no damage, thank goodness) and obviously ecstatic to be anywhere than where he was just liberated from. i wish i had the money and space to rescue the torts myself. keep me posted.

Grrrrrrr, that makes me soooooo mad!!!!!! I wish someone would rescue those poor sulcatas. It was nice of you to save the box turtle!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
boxtort said:
hey folks, i joined even though i don't own a tortoise. i am a long time reptile owner, including several different types of turtles. i live in PA and have been looking for an eastern box turtle. i didn't want to breeder-purchase or wild-catch so i've been hunting craigslist for a rescue situation. i found this thread by googling "circata" and figured this box wasn't getting very good treatment either. i just got back from paying $20 to rescue him.

Glad you were able to save one of his animals. Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
emysemys said:
Lovely! Nothing better than having the TOILET as a backdrop for your craigslist ad.

I was thinking the same thing, lol :rolleyes:

reticguy76

5 Year Member
What you could do is call spca or humane society and "force" the owner to surrender to them, then go adopt them. paying for those torts is ridiculous. If they get money (especially what they are wanting), it may set in their mind, "hey, ill get more for cheap and sell them for more", all in the meantime, not properly caring for them.

Ive done the spca/humane society thing here in my state (AZ) many times from craigslist posters.

Just something to think about trying, and not giving them money at the same time

bigguys4

5 Year Member
It's terrible the condition they let them get into. My guy guy Sarah has a huge scar on his neck where he had a huge wound when I got him .
I'd keep adopting but since I feel lucky my four guys do so well together I'm stopping at that point. For fear one more may push
Us all over the edge.
Plus the amount of poop I pick up for 4 of them (2 at a 100 pounds or more) is unbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.