Hiya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
So, I thought I would introduce myself, finally, because you all have helped me out so much. Also, Tortoise Forum rules.

My name is Kayti, I live in Ashland Oregon for school, and I'm from Seattle. I'm a biology major/women's studies minor. I like reading, animals of all kinds, adventuring, blogging, eating, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm vegan because I don't like how animals are treated in concentrated animal feeding operations. I live in a house with my friends and boyfriend.

I am caretaker of 2 russians, 1 sulcata, 3 betta fish, 1 alligator lizard, and 2 overly rambunctious rats.

The Russians are Mona and Ed, and they were adopted from a breeder in Seattle in 2008. Delaware is the Sulcata. I don't know if I should really call her a rescue tortoise, but she would have died if I had left her where she was. Over the summer I was browsing Craigslist (stupidly) when I found an add for a "Desert Turtle! Great starter pet!". There was a picture of a small Sulcata in a 10g tank on sand, with 2 heat lamps and no water. I drove out to see her and met the seller- it turns out her daughter had been given 2 baby Sulcatas by her father, and one had died already. So, I bought Delaware and took her home.
She's doing really well now, and gaining about 3 grams a week. I know owning a Sulcata is a life-changing responsibility, but I'm glad I went and got her. I'm not sure exactly how everything's going to work out right now, but I'm pretty good at adapting and I am VERY dedicated to my pets.

I mostly just wanted to clarify that I know Sulcatas are a touchy subject with a lot of herp keepers (for good reason) but I think I did the right thing by buying this one.

So yea. Hi!

-Kayti

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome, technically IMHO I don't think you bought one just rehomed it, in CL terminology. I don't have a problem myself with people buying them as long as they know what they are getting into. Again welcome.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the intro and looking forward to chatting with you soon. Any tortoise pictures? Best wishes.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Oh, of course!

This is Delaware:
IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

And this is Delaware a few days ago when she fell asleep at her favorite activity; gazing into her own reflection. :)
tumblr_ktkost6v5T1qzwk69o1_500.jpg

This is Mona, sunbathing on the lawn:
IMG_1102-1.jpg

And Ed, using a rock as a pillow: (le goof)
IMG_1114-1.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What precious little munchkins you have!! Love your photo captions, especially little Delaware falling asleep while admiring herself in the mirror. I think I'll try a mirror in Taco's cage and see how she reacts to it.:p

Bless you for taking poor doomed Delaware away from the Bad Petowner Award winners and providing that sweet little baby with a proper home. Even if you someday end up finding a new and better home than the one you can supply, you have certainly saved that creatures life and started her down the road to a happy, healthy existence. Well done!:D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Kayti,
You have a beautiful reptile family :) Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.