Decorating enclosure

floppyeardog

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
IMG_2278.jpeg
Rocky (who I refer to as “he” without that being a reflection of his actual, unknown, gender) is upgrading! 9’ x3’ greenhouse is up and running. I built a platform and frame, installed a pond liner, and put the greenhouse inside the whole kit and caboodle.

Still finishing up running all the cords and whatnot, but it’s maintaining 75-82 degrees across the entire enclosure and 78% humidity (it’s only been a couple hours, so I am monitoring and will adjust as needed).

Rocky is still a little dude (258 grams) and this enclosure totally dwarfs him (for now). He has 3 hides, a water dish and food dish. Can/should I add decorations? I did install a shelf over one end of the enclosure for shade and also to hold some plants, but I’m wondering about at tort-level. Is open space best? What about varied terrain? Right now it’s coconut coir with orchid bark over top, but how about some smooth river rocks?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Yes rocks will be good. Near the heat lamp as they warm up and can be popular for tortoise to rest on.
Try to break up end to end vision this adds interest enrichment as the tortoise investigates and explores.