Dark skin

levycraw

Hi - this is my first post. we've had our tortoise since February. We've noticed that her skin is darkening. We noticed it first on her head but now it seems her legs are darkening as well. Is this normal? is she getting too much light from her lamp? She's also had some flaky skins on her neck. We appreciate any feedback you can provide us newbies.

Thank you!

WIN_20170909_21_36_20_Pro.jpg

levycraw

I'll have to measure but we have it where the light bulb manufacturer suggests and I also put a thermometer on the substrate directly under the light to make sure she would get warm enough. It gets about 95° in her basking spot. Her akin flaking isn't alot. Only a small place on her neck. The darkness is my concern though.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

One picture isn't really enough for us to give good feedback (me, anyway!). You've got one taken from the side. One from the top would be helpful. And probably one of the bottom of the shell. Folks will want pictures of your enclosure as well, one from the side, showing the lights, and one from the top. GIVE US ALL THE PICTURES! :)

Where did the tortoise come from? It could be natural improvement from better housing or food. Her shell is quite blonde, which might make the darkness look striking in contrast.

The flaking is normal; she's just shedding. It always looks a bit gross on the neck, in my opinion, but it's normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

I think the darkening is just stain either from the food or the substrate. And yes, the skin around the neck does shed off. Don't pick at it.

When you soak him you can gently scrub the dark skin with a soft bristle brush to clean it up.

Digger&Blinky

When i first got my baby torts as they were muturing i realised there skin getting darking and shedding around the neck i think its normal