Damaged Shell First Aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
His is really a turtle question, but I was hoping to pick the brains of the tort experts that I already know and trust.

There is a box turtle we like to call George who appears to have adopted our yard ( not tort enclosure). He had been wandering around our pond and basking for months. Didn't see him for three weeks and figured he had moved on. Yesterday I just happened to look down into this window well kinda thing that goes around our basement window next to the concrete pad the hot tub sits on because the water test kit fell off the stand. There was George! I didn't know if he was alive. Thankfully he was and I think he has been there for weeks. The hot rub is inside the chain link fence, but he mist have found a way in. Covered it with screen now. Anyway we are nursing him back to health before releasing him. There must have been enough bugs and leaves and rain to keep him alive, but he is really weak. He ate well and is walking around fairly well today but his shell is cracked in a jagged manner right by his neck. It must hurt to put his head out by the way he is acting when we watch him from a distance. My hubby wants to know if he should try to file the jagged edges away so it doesn't cut him.

His shell looked and felt really greasy and moldy. Washed him with some warm water and dried him. He is in a temp concrete block enclosure with a chicken wire over it right now. Just want to make sure he is ok to fend for himself before setting him free

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have dealt with some shell injuries (mostly from dog attacks) where the shell was jagged and cutting into the turtle/tortoise. You can use nail clippers to clips some of the lose areas off, and a small file to file them down. It almost sounds like he may have been hit by a car. Since he is a wild turtle, I would try to locate a wildlife rehabilitation center to treat him before releasing him. He may need antibiotics, and they will know what to do for him. Thanks for helping this little one. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have dealt with some shell injuries (mostly from dog attacks) where the shell was jagged and cutting into the turtle/tortoise. You can use nail clippers to clips some of the lose areas off, and a small file to file them down. It almost sounds like he may have been hit by a car. Since he is a wild turtle, I would try to locate a wildlife rehabilitation center to treat him before releasing him. He may need antibiotics, and they will know what to do for him. Thanks for helping this little one.

I agree here as well....just make certain it is a wildlife rehab center...so that the turtle will get proper care...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real sure about the wildlife rescue thing. Your box turtle has his territory right there in your neighborhood. The wildlife folks won't release him back into your neighborhood. I think you should just follow the clipping and filing advice given above, then put him back outside in his territory. Turtles are terribly resilient. I don't think his shell damage required antibiotic intervention.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
emysemys said:
I'm not real sure about the wildlife rescue thing. Your box turtle has his territory right there in your neighborhood. The wildlife folks won't release him back into your neighborhood. I think you should just follow the clipping and filing advice given above, then put him back outside in his territory. Turtles are terribly resilient. I don't think his shell damage required antibiotic intervention.

Glad you mentioned the territory thing, that's what I was thinking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.