Cypress mulch

redsn8k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos, Ca
Just bought a big bag of it from LLLreptile to use in our baby Leo enclosure. It seems to be very slivery. It gets all over him and I am afraid he is going to be eating it and get it stuck in his throat? It is different from what I was expecting. Should I be concerned?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388377586.480678.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yeah, that picture looks about right. The bottom will decompose over time, so if you mix it up from time to time, eventually the larger chunks will be gone. There was a time I caught one of my reds trying to eat it. I pulled it outta her mouth and haven't seen her do it again. I haven't had any other problems with it. Just keep the food on a rock slab and you should be good to go. If you put long fiber sphagnum moss around the perimeter of the enclosure, that'll give the tort something to bury into.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mix it with some coco coir. It will be fine. Like pfara said, the bigger chunks will rotate down and out over time. I find the biggest chunks get dragged into the water dish and I take them from there to the trash. Feed off of a large terra cotta saucer or stone tile.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Thank you. I honestly was not as concerned about the big chunks rather the small sliver pieces that are all over him and then his food from climbing over his food dish.

I used the coco in my last bedding for him and it stained his skin and shell very badly?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388435174.948303.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388435208.702556.jpg

His skin is supposed to be light tan. Still trying to figure out how to get it back to normal. Poor guy.

Last edited by a moderator: