Cypress Mulch vs. Coir

Wewt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
Hello!

Currently my tortoise has cypress mulch in his enclosure. It's fine in most ways, except that it's all broken down and emits a TON of dust. Is this normal, and should I just be wetting everything down thoroughly every other day?

If I were to switch to coir, will I have the same problem?

Reading through a few other threads it seems that both coir and cypress mulch are equally good substrates, but nobody seems to have my problem with the dust. I generally don't wet down the substrate because he's an older tortoise and humidity is no longer an issue for him (as far as I am aware).

ALSO, I read here: http://africantortoise.com/substrate.htm that it is best to mix the coir with sand, but everyone on here vehemently denies that being a good idea. It is just because he may eat it and become constipated?

Thanks, everyone! :)

rearlpettway

We used coir for the first 2 years and everything was fine. We now use coir with a layer of Fir tree bark (it's also marketed as Orchid bark) on top of the coir and it is perfect.

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Enough dampness to keep the dust down is good for bigger ones too, just don't let them get cold at night with the dampness.

Sand is definitely an impaction risk, but it can also be a skin and eye irritant, especially if it dry.

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Enough dampness to keep the dust down is good for bigger ones too, just don't let them get cold at night with the dampness.

Sand is definitely an impaction risk, but it can also be a skin and eye irritant, especially if it dry.

Yeah, definitely worried about too much moisture, especially since it is in an enclosed garage space. Wouldn't want mould or anything.

Do you think I should stick with the cypress mulch and just wet it down more often, or switch to coir? I'd have to order it from the USA and it sounds like a process to soak it and what-not, especially enough for an 8ft by 8ft area with enough there for him to play in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For larger tortoises I would use the mulch. My preference is for Orchid bark. I buy it in bulk at Home Depot or any Garden Center for about $5 US, for a large 2.0 cubic foot bag. Doesn't need to be wet. Just slightly damp to keep the dust down.