cuttle bone

Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
michagin
Hi i have a russian tort....what i want to know is what kind of cuttle bone to get for her....not the same as birds....im pretty sure there different when i had a red eared slider they sold cuttle bone for red eared sliders....do torts have there own too? and where can i get them.... not many stores in my ariea have supplys for torts...thank you

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Cuttle Bone is cuttle bone, just watch out for the packaged cuttle bones for birds. They are sometimes fortified with additional minerals and salt which you don't want.

I like @Beasty_Artemis 's suggestion to shave off the brittle, hard part that could be a hazard.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi i have a russian tort....what i want to know is what kind of cuttle bone to get for her....not the same as birds....im pretty sure there different when i had a red eared slider they sold cuttle bone for red eared sliders....do torts have there own too? and where can i get them.... not many stores in my ariea have supplys for torts...thank you
Hello again - you can get cuttle bone at most pet shops, I think, and you just need the ordinary sort - some come with fancy clips to fasten to bird cages -, which you would take off. I have seen flavoured ones, but I would definitely avoid that.
Here in the UK , I can pick the bones up off the beach, but I think they are probably impregnated with salt, from being in the sea, so I don't risk using them !
Angie

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
ok thanks...so should i just get the same kind i got for the red eared slider and shave of the hard side? i hate being dense but i do want to make sure i get the proper cuttle bone for her
Cuttle is actual bone from a fish...a cuttle fish...simply don't get a colored one...I use them with my torts and the 3 Russians don't do anything but poop on them...the Sulcata eat one in one sitting...

Dragon

michagin
lol thank you I get one for sissy and see if she has any interest in it....shes russian so we will see