Cut on redfoot’s nose

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hi all,

I know there’ve been quite a few posts on here about this but no res consensus on best management. Weather is getting warmer near me so I let Tonks wander outside a bit and she wandered into some pokey bushes and now has a little cut on her nose. A few posts say to just leave it and others say to use neosporin. I’ll post a pic. Hoping someone could give me insight on how to heal it and keep her safe from infection.

Attachments

• 0BD806E3-C865-4A33-969E-80E5C8FEE351.jpeg
    0BD806E3-C865-4A33-969E-80E5C8FEE351.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 2762EDA7-4428-4AF8-AD42-2D911B916B29.jpeg
    2762EDA7-4428-4AF8-AD42-2D911B916B29.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. @Yvonne G should be able to help you.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Are you referring to that scale on the center of his head?

looks like its on nasal scale, right below prefrontals

Hi all,

I know there’ve been quite a few posts on here about this but no res consensus on best management. Weather is getting warmer near me so I let Tonks wander outside a bit and she wandered into some pokey bushes and now has a little cut on her nose. A few posts say to just leave it and others say to use neosporin. I’ll post a pic. Hoping someone could give me insight on how to heal it and keep her safe from infection.

with the head, theres always the chance they will try to wipe it away with their legs so if its healing on its own, I'd just leave it be. But rinsing it and putting a small amount or antibiotic on it won't hurt anything if that makes you feel better about it.

SweetShellysmom55

5 Year Member
Michigan
Hi all,

Awww. I think I would just keep it clean y using a soft warm shower spray daily. I would keep her from wandering under trees where wild animal feces is abundant. But if it appears to be tender I would take her to the vet. They seem to heal easily (as evidenced by females in the wild after rough mating, or males competing for mating rites) & antibiotic cream may interfere with healing or cause debris to stick to her wound. Also keep her water & dish clean. Good luck. My Redfoot loves a shower.

SweetShellysmom55

5 Year Member
Michigan
Sheldon is 15 yo & has lived in Michigan his entire life. He is hardy, curious, stubborn, affectionate, social, & gentle. After 15 years, he’s able to communicate through expressions, noises, & actions. He can’t recite the Gettysburg Address, but when he’s annoyed, he’ll knock over a chair or shred a sock, or stand with his nose in a corner. Really. A6448AC7-6C91-4F56-861C-8246DC0E58C3.jpeg