Cut guppy tail

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Yesterday, I noticed there was a guppy with it's bottom tail cut. It was swimming on his side and on the top of the tank, but still swimming. Today, I noticed that he was being thrown around by the current (which was not happening yesterday) so I put him in a small cup to hopefully calm him down. It's been a couple of hours and he's just mostly been resting on the bottom. I was wondering how often I should change the water, what else I can do to help him, and how it might have happened. We did get some new fish a couple of days ago, so someone might have gotten nippy, but I'm not sure. There has never been a problem with fins being cut in this tank before, and it has been used for years. The new fish are male fancy guppies (I think) and some red tetras to go with my neon tetras. I don't know the chemical stuff in the tank, and I doubt my parents will get anything to find out for this one fish. Mostly I was wondering how often I should clean the water in tge cup, but the other things that I mentioned would be nice to know too.

Tortski

Arizona
I don't know if this will help, but anyways here is the hurt guppy

Attachments

• 1498854489048.jpg
    1498854489048.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a net or a plastic container with holes put in the sides, so water can exchange in and out and put the guppy in it and set it in the tank. This way it will stay the same temp as the tank and fresh water will be exchanged

Tortski

Arizona
Get a net or a plastic container with holes put in the sides, so water can exchange in and out and put the guppy in it and set it in the tank. This way it will stay the same temp as the tank and fresh water will be exchanged
Thank you. Would a zip lock bag be okay, and if yes do I have to close it? I'm just a bit scared it will be too small.

Tortski

Arizona
You know what, just forget the entire thing. I did as you said, but I'm still a bit worried that it's too small, but he's probably happier there. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The smaller really kinda the better. He won't have to use too much energy to stay upright, swim around etc. giving him time to recover without a large area to exhaust himself in.
Oh and yes, the new fish probably did it.

Tortski

Arizona
Thanks so much for the help, I didn't think anyone would help me with just a guppy. I'm not quite sure, but he either is sleeping or not going to make it very long (Although I thought that hours ago that he wouldn't make 10 minutes at most, and he proved me wrong.) Is there any way I could get the new fish to stop? My mom is going to find an old hide for them, and we got rid of all the other tanks awhile ago, so I don't think I could seperate them without getting a 50 gallon tank set up for 6 tiny fish. As for the questions, I just tend to be a bit hard on myself when I ask something that I should've figured out right away

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he gets better, enough to be put back in. Add lots of hiding places. Real or fake plants work good for smaller fish. Try to have hiding spots at all levels, bottom, middle and top.
The best time to do this and the best chance for him is just before your going to return him to the tank and before you feed them. Take all fish out. Add the new plants, etc, then put them all back in at once and then feed them. I would even bag all the fish together in a bag, even the one that got injured. Float them like you would if you just brought them home and add the new items/plants while they are floating in the bag. If you already have a bunch of hiding spots, then still do the above, but rearrange all the stuff around.
This can be done whenever you bring new fish home too. New fish are usually the victims of bullying because the older fish have staked out their territory.
If the above doesn't work for the injured fish and they still beat him up, then it probably won't stop. At that point either bring him back to the store or give him his own tank.
Good luck and every living thing deserves to have the best care and attention. Even a little guppy. Good luck, hope it works out.

Tortski

Arizona
Thank you. I will try that. Unfortunately he didn't make it, but he did last a long longer than I thought he was. We'll have to see if this new hissing spot works before we get more. Luckily I haven't seen anymore signs of bullying, but I will always keep an eye out

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry he didn't make it. At least you tried. More then a lot of people would have done.
When you can, you might want to pick up a brooder/sick box. They come in plastic or netting. I used them as a sick/injury tank. I used both and actually like the hard plastic brooder box better. It comes with a piece inside that you can use for a fish that has a hard time staying upright. If it's not needed it comes right out. They are small and cheap and they sit inside the aquarium so all the water and temp perimeters stay the same which is important for a sick or injured fish.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I tried finding a picture of the plastic one. It's been many years since I have bought one. While searching, I see they have many different kinds out now. Any that uses the same tank water whether by the box floating in the tank or hangs on the outside of the tank with some kind of water exchange system using the tank water will do. Just get the cheapest one that floats in the tank if you want.

Tortski

Arizona
Thanks. I'll try to keep in mind. Out of all my years taking care of fish, I never thought to get one, but never really had a fish who would need it