Cussing will cost ya 20.00 bucks in Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
JoesMum said:
lisa127 said:
This has nothing to do with the law, but it interests me how many people claim to swear as everyday language. The F word comes out of my mouth only when I am very, very angry about something pretty serious. Not petty everyday things. I find it extremely unattractive when people swear in everyday language. But that's just me I guess.

Me too :)

I am in this group too. An occasional swear word I can take, but when it's every other word, no. I was just commenting on this to my son this weekend. He had put in a disk from Dexter and I think Dexter's sister never says two words without one of them being a swear word. I also use to turn off the CB quite often in the semitruck for the same reason.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I swear all day everyday and even in spanish. I work in a machine shop with a bunch of knuckleheads. Angela your right f em. I would like to see them try to collect that 20 from me:D I might have to leave the state

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Does anyone know if the law differentiates between cussing in english and another language?

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a great user of the f word and find the c word a million times worse. F*** it only if I'm really wound up. S**t is much more broadly used however :/ as for the welding, I can imagine!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
lisa127 said:
This has nothing to do with the law, but it interests me how many people claim to swear as everyday language. The F word comes out of my mouth only when I am very, very angry about something pretty serious. Not petty everyday things. I find it extremely unattractive when people swear in everyday language. But that's just me I guess.

I feel the same way. :cool:

While I'm a strong advocate of the 1st Amendment, I hate to see folks drop the "F-bomb" in front of children and elders...it shows absolutely no class and reflects VERY poorly on the potty-mouth's parents.

I'm a strong believer in teaching children manners and I'm proud to say that my 3 know when it's appropriate to use "strong language" and when it's not.

That being said, fining a potty-mouth is unConstitutional...possibly introducing said pottymouth to the back of my hand might be, as well... :p

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Terry Allan Hall said:
lisa127 said:

While I'm a strong advocate of the 1st Amendment, I hate to see folks drop the "F-bomb" in front of children and elders...it shows absolutely no class and reflects VERY poorly on the potty-mouth's parents.

I'm a strong believer in teaching children manners and I'm proud to say that my 3 know when it's appropriate to use "strong language" and when it's not.

That being said, fining a potty-mouth is unConstitutional...possibly introducing said pottymouth to the back of my hand might be, as well... :p

Call me old fashioned, but I even hate when men casually use that kind of language around women too. What happened to the old days of respect in general?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Terry Allan Hall said:
lisa127 said:

I agree with you. I'm a frequent shopper in Manhattan and hear it a lot in the streets. But I wouldn't be handing over the 20 that fast either.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
lisa127 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
lisa127 said:

Call me old fashioned, but I even hate when men casually use that kind of language around women too. What happened to the old days of respect in general?

Well said both of you.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
tossin' in my 40 bucks .. " **** ya gotta be ******* kidding me ? "

Wonder what a burp is going to cost?.....:p

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Is there a reason for it, has it gotten that bad (language wise) where you are that they are bringing this fine in or is it just something thought up? Where I live is pretty bad, in the town centre it's pretty common to hear it, I'm in a seaside town called Clacton on sea. We get a lot of London overspill, (nothing wrong with the Londoners ill add, my family ate there! but we get a certain "type") which is generally where our trouble comes from now. We call it London on sea lol. I can't imagine a law being bought in here,our country seems to concern itself with peculiar things to ban.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
N2TORTS said:
tossin' in my 40 bucks .. " **** ya gotta be ******* kidding me ? "

Wonder what a burp is going to cost?.....:p

Or a bean burrito fart?

I read recently about where a guy got arrested and prosecuted for cutting loose w/ a particularily foul example of intestinal methane in an elevator...the charge was "illegal disposal of a dangerous chemical"...liked to have watched that trial :rolleyes:

sawz

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
ascott said:
Okay, anyone is the state of Mass. it will now cost you 20.00 bucks if you are caught/heard cussing in public.....I am so glad I don't live there....lol

its actually only one town, i thought the same thing!! but people i know who work there say high school kids just hang around and swearing for no reason lol

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thankfully, only one town. And not one I have been to, either.

It's ludacris, but it won a vote to pass by landfall in the town.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I don't cuss ever and have no desire to but don't agree that government should get involved in yet another area they have no business being in. I do wish people would watch their language around children but having it be a fine is off the wall ridiculous.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I don't actually curse that much, but on some occasions I think it's appropriate. What really annoys me is when people use curse words ineffectively in speech. A language nerd, if ever there was one.

"That would take an act of f-ing congress!" (Whoa! That's a lot of people!) has a different meaning from:
"That would take an f-ing act of congress!"

Monty Python says it best. The f word can be used as nearly every word in a sentence: F the f-ing f-ers.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Arizona Sulcata said:
I don't cuss ever and have no desire to but don't agree that government should get involved in yet another area they have no business being in. I do wish people would watch their language around children but having it be a fine is off the wall ridiculous.
Ditto!!
I never cuss either but I have lately I have noticed a few people throwing out F bombs right front of my kids in public. One was during a movie. I would have moved them, but it was packed. A few times a guy with a family cussing like a sailor behind us in a restaurant. Come on. My kids are 6 & 8 , not 16. I'm not a "stuffy" person just not a cusser.
When I do, I sorta feel like a grown up:)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
ascott said:
Okay, anyone is the state of Mass. it will now cost you 20.00 bucks if you are caught/heard cussing in public.....I am so glad I don't live there....lol

Thats just plain silly. I doubt it will last long. Do you know if anyone has actually been ticketed yet? I have an urge to fly out there and get a ticket just so I can fight it in court. :D

N2TORTS said:
I read recently about where a guy got arrested and prosecuted for cutting loose w/ a particularily foul example of intestinal methane in an elevator...the charge was "illegal disposal of a dangerous chemical"...liked to have watched that trial Rolleyes

Haha!!!!

I wonder if you could claim temporary insanity for a cussing crime. For example, if I stub my toe and in the seconds that follow spill out a good stream of cuss words, can I claim that I was temporarily insane from pain?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Swearing: because sometimes gosh darn it and meanie head, just don't cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.