Status
Not open for further replies.

TURTLEGIRL73

5 Year Member
curious about weight, sex and size
First photo is Bernard's underside.
Size : 13cm x 9 cm
Weight : 550g

Second photo is Manny, hes half the size of Bernard. Think they are both hermans.

Size: 11cm x 9cm
Weight : 350g

very funny putting them on a set of scales for the first time. I feed them everyday, all different types of lettuce and some melon and have started putting vitamin powder on their food. Just want to know if they are right weight and size

Attachments

• bernard 1.jpg
    bernard 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 44
  • manny 1.jpg
    manny 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 39

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
umm....it looks to me like Bernard is boy (for sure) and Manny looks like a girl...(or a young male)

You have to measure their undersides, not the tops of their shells. An easy way to do that, it to follow these directions: how to measure your tortoise

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Bernard is a male and an Eastern Hermanns, Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Manny is a female and a Western Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hermanni

Your best to seperate them as you don't want the 2 different subspecies to breed. Also now that Bernard is basicly adult he won't be leaving Manny alone and the aggression will only get worse.

When you measure you want to measure in millimeters and try to be as exact as possible. With the measurements you gave they are both over weight. I can check again when you can get a more exact measurement.

Danny

TURTLEGIRL73

5 Year Member
What's the ideal weight and how can I get them to cut back on their food or is that just down to me?. They are eating all varieties of lettuce. Sometimes cucumber, sometimes melon.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you could remeasure them I can check their weights again. Even a mm makes a difference weight-wise.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.