Curious about heater

FishingMomma

Location (City and/or State)
Linden, TN
I have a 50ish lb sulcata tortoise. We moved from Florida to Tennessee, weather is MUCH colder here. I am curious what wattage I need for a heater for her. I have 65 watt heater now. Do I need to go higher?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Heating depends on where your tortoise is housed (shed, indoors or in the insulated night box)... There are two common options:
- radiant heat panel above and a Kane mat below
- an oil-filled radiator
Both options are significantly more powerful than a 65 watt heater. Neither ceramic heat emitters nor heat bulbs don't work with larger tortoises.

Here is how Tom builds his night boxes (a battle-proven design and outline of equipment): https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/single-tortoise-night-box.181515/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think you get as cold as me, I'm in Chicago. But I use two split 1500 watt oil filled heaters to heat an insulated shed. I use one heater at 1500 watt and the other at half, it's split in 600 and 900. Depending on how cold it is depends on the watt I will use. Both run on a thermostat. Most of the time the one running on half watt doesn't come on.

FishingMomma

Linden, TN
Haha. I won't get as cold as you. We get some nights below 30's but no snow yet. Last year(our 1st year in TN) , she had a 100watt ceramic heater in her wooden house outside(which is insulated) but I just want to make sure she has enough heat. Would a 150watt ceramic heater (which is hung above her area in a dome) be good enough?
I don't think you get as cold as me, I'm in Chicago. But I use two split 1500 watt oil filled heaters to heat an insulated shed. I use one heater at 1500 watt and the other at half, it's split in 600 and 900. Depending on how cold it is depends on the watt I will use. Both run on a thermostat. Most of the time the one running on half watt doesn't come

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Haha. I won't get as cold as you. We get some nights below 30's but no snow yet. Last year(our 1st year in TN) , she had a 100watt ceramic heater in her wooden house outside(which is insulated) but I just want to make sure she has enough heat. Would a 150watt ceramic heater (which is hung above her area in a dome) be good enough?
If it will hold the temp at 80.
However, for larger tortoises/adults, it's best to use RHP or pig blankets. Pig blanket/Kane heat mat on the floor and another one, or the RHP on the ceiling above the mat. Another on a wall if needed. This would be the heated hide side and the other side would be the side she can get away from the heat.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live in Oregon...we're going to snow next week...my 40 lb Sulcata lives here100_6258.JPG
I use an oil filled radiator heater it keeps the shed an ambient temp of 85 degrees even when it's like this outside...100_1515.JPG

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
With larger tortoises ceramic heaters can burn their shell, but still don't warm up the core of their body. Floor temperatures are also important and CHE can't raise them (all emitted heat is blocked by tortoise body). That's why oil-filled radiator or RHP/mat combination works better