Crock pot recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
First of all I hate cooking. When I do cook it’s something I can put on the grill or use the crock pot.

Does anybody have a good recipe for cooking a pot roast in the ol' crock pot? I suspect you make it just like you would on top of the stove- season with flour, salt and pepper and brown roast first. Then simmer in crock pot adding veggies and liquid?

What is the correct procedure and do you have any nice variations?

Also, any other ideas for things to put in the slow cooker?

Share your recipes :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Rich, I can't cook anymore in my crockpot because when my older two boys were little that's all I used to cook in because I worked and wanted to have dinner ready when I got home. They absolutely hate it now. I just fixed organic whole chickens last week in one and my 22 year old didn't even finish his, but he reminded me how much he hates the crockpot. I used to fix country style pork ribs in there and they always came out good. Unless you're going to use the liquid for a gravy you don't need to use flour (and if you do "don't use bleached flour"). I would just sear it in a skillet first on all sides and then just put it in the crockpot (you could throw in a little red wine) and some beef broth, salt and pepper and a lot of garlic and maybe some little yukon gold potatoes cut up or not. :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep, brown it first. potatoes, carrots, garlic. yummy....
Rich, when i first saw this thread.. i thought you were going to vent about some 'crock pot' person who made you mad.. HA HA!
But recipes are good too...

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
I bought a crock-pot book at Barnes & Noble, just seems like too much trouble lol.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Night 1 - crock pot roast, night 2 - ground beef tacos, night 3 - steaks on the grill, night 4 - crockpot chili made with the night 1, 2 and 3 left overs, add beans, tomatoes, seasoning, cook all day. night 5 - chili cheese dogs, And no one realizes they are eating left overs. Also Ham for dinner (will cook in the crockpot) and the bone and left over meat become the base for bean soup. left over pork or beef roast and veges cut up the next day become pork or beef stew. My 17 year old says I like to cook "orphan food". My definition of orphan food is cheap, easy, good tasting and nutritious.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dawna wow you're good! These boys of ours they're not very appreciative. Rich I went to look at this thread and there was an advertisement for recipes for crockpot cooking so I copied it and here it is Family.go.com. Sorry I thought it would paste so you could just click on it but it didn't so I guess you'll just have to type it in. Good luck with the cookin. :p

christinag

5 Year Member
Colorado
For the extreme laziness crock pot cooker (me in particular) is the slow cooker liners made by Reynolds! They are with the aluminum foil and saran wrap. just put the liner in and add your food. When you are done just take the liner out. Your crock pot is "clean". (I still wash mine but you don't have to soak it and extreme amounts of elbow grease are not required!)

Here's my recipe:
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese

1 lb cooked elbow macaroni
1 C. pureed butternut squash or carrots
1 can evaporated milk
1 can cheddar cheese soup
4 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 C. milk

add everything to the crock pot and stir. cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. At the end you may want to add more milk depending on your desired consistency. You can also add brocolli, carrots and/or cubed cooked chicken in the last 40 minutes. You can also add spices too. I have three picky kids and this is a way I sneak veggies into their food. You can hardly taste the squash and carrots!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I buy a nice sized chuck roast, 1 family size can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 can water, 2 packs of onion soup mix, potatoes and carrots. I put a little soup in the bottom of the pot, put the roast in and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for the day. Makes really yummy gravy. If you don't want the potato, you can also serve over rice. It seems like I never have enough of this meal!

chadk

10 Year Member!
BBQ sandwiches...

Cheap and easy.

Buy a cheap cut of port or beef. Add BBQ sauce of choice and maybe some liquid smoke. Slow cook all day until meat is tender enough to break apart when stirring. Stir and pull appart until desired consistency. Add to nice soft (maybe slightly grilled) buns\rolls\bread for a yummy sandwich (depending on how you make it, could be a sandwich you can eat with your hands or only with a fork...).

Or, make a normal roast. For left overs, simply put in a large pan with BBQ sauce and liquid smoke and cook and stir and pull apart until ready to be added to the bread.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Lots of good ideas. Thanks for sharing. I will be trying a few different recipes. It’s nice to come home and have dinner ready. I really hate being in the kitchen, usually I’ll start cooking something then go watch TV and it boils over on the stove. Everything in my house is electric. I hate having an electric stove.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Rich, when you get tired of the crockpot food maybe you could try Whole Foods do you have one by you? They have prepared whole foods that you can buy and take home and just eat (already heated for you). That is until you find yourself a wife that cooks. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.