Crimini (white) Mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I know its not necesary to feed mushrooms to a Sulcata but can I if I wanted? I looked up the nutrition facts and there is a little protein but other then that it looks ok. So if I wanted to let him taste a small peice would it be determental? Also where is the list of good leaves and grasses for sulcatas?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I too was curious and waiting for someone to respond. I assumed it was fine, but wasn't 100% so I didn't want to comment. Let us know what they think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mushrooms aren't going to poison a grass-eating tortoise, however its probably not something they would come across in the wild. I feed mushrooms to forest-dwelling tortoises, but not to sulcatas and desert tortoises (or Russians).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Mushrooms are a great source of fiber for forest dwelling species, as Yvonne said, but forest dwellers don't eat grass like Mediterranean and desert torts do. The Meds and deserts have grasses and weeds as a source of fiber, and do not need to eat mushrooms.

I once also read that some box turtles will eat poisonous mushrooms without suffering ill effects, but will in turn become poisonous themselves. Interesting if true :)

Here are a couple of articles on forest tortoises and the benefits of mushrooms for them -

http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/pdf/hcl1998.pdf

http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/pdf/hcc1997.pdf

Madortoise

5 Year Member
DTs will love it and eat it (based on my experience) but may not be good for them. Also, it acclimates DTs to eat mushrooms and they may not be able to distinguish edible vs. poisonous if they came across one, is what I was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.